Reply To: Billy Posts a Blog

Profile photo of lilkitn
On lilkitn wrote:

Well, I’m Canadian… and you can call me a Canuck anytime, it wont hurt my feelings.

I decided to do a bit of research, as I was uncertain exactly what a \"Yankee\" is. Webster’s Dictionary defines it as: inhabitant of U.S.A., esp. of New England, or of the Northern Stages. -a. belonging to the U.S.A. From what I read the orgin of the word is from when British General James Wolfe referred to the New England soldiers under his command as Yankees: \"I can afford you two companies of Yankees.\" The \"Yankee and Pennamite\" war was a series of clashes over land titles in Pennsylvania, 1769, in which \"Yankee\" meant the Connecticut claimants.

Now let’s have some more fun, and look up Canuck: n. (sl) (French) Canadian. Wikipedia says: Canadians use \"Canuck\" as an affectionate description of nationality and the word carries no particular patriotic overtones. A few Americans misinterpret \"Canuck\" as an offensive noun but would be hard pressed to find a Canadian, French or English, insulted by the word.

So why can’t we all just get along???

I’ll be the bigger person here if I must, and say no harm was intended… and if I insulted anyone, I am deeply sorry.

Kit’n