Reply To: Update from Billy – pretty exciting!

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

What is that tape from Joe Shanahan about? It rings a bell… But not clearly, as yet.

But when he refers to 1986, it has nothing to do with Smashing Pumpkins, I’m sure. Untill the beginning of 1987, Billy was still in a band called The Marked, and the only known official Smashing Pumpkins recording is from the end of 1987: the song I Fall. There are some (confirmed? I don’t know) rumours about a tape that might contain the earliest version of the song Hope, that was later re-recorded in 1992 and released on a promo called Still Becoming Apart. That promo came with some Machina, The Machines Of God CD albums in the US and UK/EU early 2000. Hope was a Marked song actually, from the 1985/1986 era. This is how far my memory goes…

And talking about rights, I guess he owns the rights of all the old songs already? There were issues with Virgin a few years ago, but that was about the later songs, starting from the Gish era… Billy settled the rights of a lot of old stuff (think 1987-1991) already by registering a handful of cassettes at the Library Of Congress. Well, let’s wait and see what this is about.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."