Reply To: The early history of the Pumpkins rewritten by SPfreaks!

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Some extra info, Cool As Ice Cream.

Hope was (re-)recorded in Spring 1992 @ Soundworks Studio Chicago (The Smashing Pumpkins Recording Sessions Version 3.2 – August 2000 (compiled and maintained by: Jesse Miller), this info can be found on SPFC.org also), and that version was put on the 2000 promo Still Becoming Apart (and on the Pisces Iscariot + Friends tape). So it won’t get a direct 1986 link on the SPfreaks website anyway. And SPFC.org states about Hope: \"Confirmed as an old (1985-86) pre-TSP demo, based on its presence on Marked demo tape.\". Though I have not seen that tape around (it’s probably only rumoured?), based on this information I would make Hope a Marked tune that was adopted by the Pumpkins just like Spiteface and Sun (Death Of A Mind).

I Fall still stands out being a full Smashing Pumpkins song, recorded (1987), performed live (1988) & \"released\" (1989) by Smashing Pumpkins members alone, all flagged with the name Smashing Pumpkins. All this is confirmed by Billy Corgan himself, as we all know by now. In my opinion there is only 1 conclusion: technically speaking the Smashing Pumpkins exists since 1987.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."