Reply To: Zeitgeist a let down?

Profile photo of bleedingtheorchid
On BleedingTheOrchid wrote:

(part 4)

ZEITGEIST: TRACK BY TRACK

“Doomsday Clock”

“I had this mellow guitar riff that was very simple–almost a ballad– and we kept messing around with it. And one day, we thought, ‘What if we played it really loud.’ And that was it. Suddenly it transformed into this beastly thing.” Billy Corgan

“We’ve learned a lot of lessons over the years about not taking songs at face value when they emerge. I think that’s something Flood taught us along the way. ‘Doomsday Clock’ started off almost a folk calypso number and it turned into this . . . Apocalypso. We’re believers that a good song is a good song whether it’s played on an electric guitar or a zither.” Jimmy Chamberlin

“7 Shades Of Black”

“That song’s very much in our old kind of Pumpkins wheelhouse. It was kind of like getting reacquainted with an old friend at a high school reunion.” Jimmy Chamberlin

“This song reminds me of when they would bring back Vincent Price in the Eighties to do Vincent Price again. I feel like I brought out the mid-Nineties guy to have a stroll through his narcissistic, nihilistic landscape.” Billy Corgan

“Bleeding The Orchid”

“I realized listening to ‘Orchid’ that it’s a distant commentary on what happened to the bands of the Nineties. The song even has a bit of an homage to Alice in Chains in the harmonies. Alice in Chains is one band that I appreciate so much more now than when we were all in the same competitive streak. I also thought a lot about Kurt Cobain and what we’d all been through as a collective unit and the battle-scarred feeling of that. I wondered about what our contribution was as a generation. I’m close to Courtney Love. I know the negative ramifications of that time. I see what she goes through, and the ramifications on Francis Bean. Everybody can talk about the Kurt on a t-shirt, but they’re still real people . So in a way, that song is a cost assessment.” Billy Corgan

“We’re great believers in continuing the search musically until the last possible minute looking for something better than what you have, and that song is one that benefited.” Jimmy Chamberlin

“That’s The Way (my Love is)”

“That’s a sexy song made by two men living in a house alone together for four or five months in Scottsdale. There needed to be some sexiness somewhere.” Jimmy Chamberlin

“That song was another one that I brought to Arizona with me. And right away it sounded like ‘95 Pumpkins, like it could have been right off of the Mellon Collie record. I feel sorry for Jimmy because he has to hear me complain about such things. And we went back to what Flood taught us and tried the song some other ways. One day we just changed the beat, and it just made the song.” Billy Corgan

“Tarantula”

“Billy bought this guitar from this guy from Paris (James Trussart) who makes steel guitars and he brought a couple examples of his work to our rehearsal space. Billy grabbed one and plugged in into his amp and immediately started playing the riff from ‘Tarantula’ and the song was written pretty much on the spot.” Jimmy Chamberlin

“That’s our nod to the Scorpions, and UFO–a loving nod to the hard rock bands of that era.” Billy Corgan

“Starz”

“I originally wanted this song to sound sort of as if it were from that weird period from 1972-1974 when bands started going metal like Judas Priest but a lot of it still sounded poppy like the Sweet. I wanted ‘Starz’ to sound like that, but of course then Roy blew it up into some other thing. Yes, I am aware that there was a band Starz back then. Now I’m going to have to buy their stuff.” Billy Corgan

“That’s Roy being Roy–as only he can.” Jimmy Chamberlin

Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanlinessAnd cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty just like meIntoxicated with the madness, I'm in love with my sadness