Reply To: Mosh Pit Turns Deadly for a Smashing Pumpkins Fan

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Meanwhile the band speaks.

\"The Smashing Pumpkins were deeply saddened to learn about the passing of a young man who attended their Vancouver show Monday night (September 24). As they and everyone else await news from the investigation into the nature of his passing, the band want to express their sincerest condolences to his family and friends.\"

For me the scariest moments at a concert are when people from the back start pushing to reach the front. Or when they want to enter the moshpit, which is a fenced area just before the stage. When me and my girlfriend entered the moshpit at the Pinkpop gig to see the Pumpkins from close by (not to mosh :P ) I kept close to her and we hold hands all the time, except for a few seconds when the pushing made us loose each other. Later on she told me she was very afraid to fell on the ground and being stepped on. Luckily it didn’t happen and we had fun \\m/ \\m/ anyway, and the people moshing were not all over the mosh pit area. But when they are, you can do nothing. Though I’m a tall (1.99 m) and big, strong guy of almost 100 kg, there’s nothing you can do against 100’s of people going crazy. My advantage is only that I can look over the people and check for a \"safer\" place. And when I was younger I did my fair part of moshing also… Though I was always afraid of loosing my 8) hahaha!

You know when I watch tv for me the moshpit area looks like fun when people jump around and go crazy and do crowdsurfing. But then you don’t see the few individuals that are bothered, get hurt or even injured. Like Sven says, some are close to fainting (and always a few do is my experience), lilkitn reminds us of the people that are small (like my girlfriend) and they can’t even predict where the frenzy will come from or can’t breathe properly. Anyway, I have very mixed feelings about moshing since a long while, and I even stopped attending the huge festivals. Because when I go see the Pumpkins, I always want to see them from close by. But that’s where the danger is also… :?

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."