Reply To: Puffy Perfect Remixes

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

As far as I know, but I’m not an insider of course, labels will contract their artists for a few things only. Mainly to release one or a few albums, or a fixed set of musical material, within a certain timeframe. Remixes, and where to preferably get them, are not mentioned.

Remixes, when they occur, are done under a new contract. Within the same label, or outside the label of the asking artist, it makes no difference. After the remix contract is signed, the remix is done. So yeah, financially things should be rather clear, then only the cultural (maybe I should have called that ‘political’) & artistical reasons remain to object to a remix being released. Like Sven suggested, maybe a financial issue might occur when ‘friends’ start doing a remix project without a contract.

The label’s role in this whole process is that they provide the knowledge and the network to allow things to run smoothly. They wouldn’t deliberately complicate things when they earn their money from a release (they can fuck things up though).

Furthermore, Puffy and Billy were still hot names back then. However, in the years 1996 – 2000 Puffy was also ‘connected’ to quite some killings, shootings and fights in the rap scene. Not sure if Billy/Virgin was too eager to have their name linked to that after all… We can only guess.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."