Reply To: Messages to SPRC \"The Lucky 13\" Team

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

the only real problem i see with the model (i’m no business man, mind you) is the gauging of the fan, er sorry, engaged consumer’s reaction. here is why:

how are you going to effectively gauge any online response/interest/commitment? let’s say http://www.lucky13.com is established (probably not a bad idea). at least this way, you have a somewhat official \"hub\" for interested parties to participate in, not a bunch of pieces scattered across multiple forms of social media and/or messageboards that are all interested in their own niches and self-promotion.

in either event, what metric do you use? hit counts? polls? are you going to track IP addresses to eliminate spam? are people that express interest effectively signing some sort of monetary bond? of course not. also, not every fan will participate in the information exchange. sure, we are empowered, but the casual fan is just that, casual. they don’t sit around devoting time to the release, they go online and to the store and pick up something that is new by an artist they recognize and make a decision based on the content. i think this is by far the majority of who will \"pay\" for these releases to come to fruition. people, like me, who are devoted to messageboards and the like, make up an extremely small percentage of the consumer market. and as you can see by this thread, only 1% of us are even voicing an opinion. writing shit down takes time, and no one has any of that anymore.

by the time you assess public opinion, interest may have waned by the time the actual release is delivered (this has happened with the teargarden releases, if you recall). a song would come out after 2 months of nothing, and it was like, so what? no one gave a shit, because the process took too long.

it’s quite sad, but we live in a society that cannot remember the headlines from yesterday. i don’t know if it’s the evolution of advanced technology or devolution on the part of the human psyche to keep itself entertained. however you look at it, it’s reality. create a buzz, deliver a product immediately or no one will care, and what’s worse, they will probably not participate out of frustration or just simply having moved on to something else.

i don’t believe gathering any numbers regarding how many people are interested in a release is really possible, it’s always a game. it’s always a mystery until whatever it is is released. and then of course, it will be pirated immediately and disseminated that way. so the idea of the initial 500-1000 of some hardcore fans buying something physical seems to make sense to me, as long as it’s offered at a low price. collectors don’t pay outrageous prices right out of the gate, that’s not how collecting works.

i’m not going to get specific, but keep the costs low, make shit limited, and keep buzz to a minimum until such a time as a release is merely a pressing of a button. otherwise, our society cannot be relied upon to follow through with any sort of devotion or calculated participation.

in my time of dying