Reply To: List time: owners of US Machina II Virgin in-house promo cds

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

With the recent post on Twitter and Facebook of a pic with several Machina II cds, I felt the need to join the discussion about it. This is what I emailed a few minutes ago, I guess it’s worthwhile keeping here also.

\"I think with Machina II we have to think outside the box a little.

Billy sure would have remembered sending a studio master to Virgin. But he doesn’t. So I think it didn’t happen. Making it likely that Virgin used a vinyl rip. Not Q101, not Eric Agnew.

To me, Q101 is a ‘friend’ of Billy, they received a vinyl copy ‘to spread this shit for free’. And hell they did, they made a beautiful release in the spirit of the vinyl. And spread it for free to 2,000 fans that won some radio contest. It must have cost them 1,000s and 1,000s of dollars! So I would consider it as an official release. It was a release asked for by Billy Corgan. But it is grey area, since it is not Constantinople Records, nor Virgin or sub-label. But Virgin never seriously considered a release, except that we know of 3 promos; 2 inhouse promo sets (US and UK) and a promo send to media partners outside of Virgin in Germany CLEARLY approved by Billy Corgan.

I consider a bootleg as a commercial non-label release that never got the credit from band/management. Q101 is not on that level I’m sure. It’s funny that they call it a bootleg anyway in the liner notes. My 2 cents on this.\"

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."