Reply To: SPfreaks’ Renditions Live Compilation
On 2009.11.28 at 12:30 am Arthur wrote:
Here is the tracklist already. Uploads will follow later today, I badly need some sleep now…
OK guys, start downloading, and grab that iPod! 596.18 MB of Pumpkins renditions are here for your listening pleasure:
By the way, the previous 2 SPfreaks’ Live Compilations can still be found here, as kindly provided by mr.benway in a post further down this thead. Many many thanks, mr.benway!
Notes on this release. (also included in the artwork)
Itâs starting to become a tradition, creating these Smashing Pumpkins Live Compilationsâ¦ And with pleasure this third one was made, let me tell you. I consider this renditions release as the best so far (and the other 2 were already hard to top!), with a stunning amount of 42 Smashing Pumpkins live tracks that highlight every aspect of Pumpkins playing live. At first I mixed the (semi-)acoustic tracks with the more rocking electric tracks, but that didnât really create a good listening atmosphere, to my humble opinion. So for that reason, I split up the release in 2 parts. But how did I decide about every one of the 42 tracks? Let me explain about a few of them.
Part I, track 1 is a joke, obviously. The irony of the title âIâll Never Changeâ just asked for being the starter of this releaseâ¦ This rather unknown Smashing Pumpkins song was taken from Mashed Potatoes. Obscured, Snail and Suffer from that London Hotel room session couldnât be missed when we talk about acoustic renditions of Gish era songs. And when it is hard to decide which one should be added, you just throw them all in, right?
Cherub Rock and the other 2 titles from the 1993-12-12 gig were chosen for the integration of a cello in the sound. It works quite well, and I hope you guys listening to it, think the same. Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness was chosen for itâs rarity, I think not many fans know about the existence of unaired 1995 MTV footage that is out there. It was taken from the David Mead Compilation digital-only boot that can be found sometimes on torrent sites.
Also I wanted to pick some Smashing Pumpkins tracks that were done live with other artists (that can be considered a rendition also, right?), thatâs why Eye, Blissed And Gone and Disarm are on the list for Part I. All in all, Part I gives a great overview of the acoustic brilliance that the Smashing Pumpkins achieve playing live. Again, just my humble opinion. But I hope you guys have a great listening experience, and appreciate my choices again so far!
Part II is focused on the electric songs, and I didnât give a shit throwing in some same titles when I thought it would be appropriate for renditionsâ reasons. Thatâs why you will find X.Y.U., Disarm, Starla, Today and Silverfuck in 2 redone versions. I wonder who will survive the famous 40 minutes version of that last trackâ¦ Oh, talking about Today, the electric version is maybe not the best recording quality, but do you notice how old that song actually is? And what about the instrumental middle part? Awesome!
Furthermore, Sun in an even longer early live version than on the Light Into Dark release, many Adore era songs since I had the idea that this era was not highlighted enough on the previous 2 Live Compilations, and may I point you already to the angry grunting metal version of Ava Adore? Man, I love that version, itâs perfect! I Am One from the 1994-08-28 gig was chosen for the very different rant (even little parts of an early Zero can be heard, and Billy Corgan was definitely not that much into God and cornflakes as he turned out to be later in his career), and now I want to put a little spotlight on Pissant.
Pissant was released on the Siamese Dream album in Japan only, on the Cherub Rock single and on the b-sides album Pisces Iscariot too. Meaning, the song Pissant is not that well-known, and it wasnât played live many times either. Only the few visitors to a handful of 2 gigs had the chance and the pleasure to get to know this song in a live rendition. This 1993-10-05 recording of Pissant shows the Pumpkins weirdness during the introduction of Jimmy during the song, and the outtro that I just had to addâ¦ And with the blues-rock version of Window Paine directly following it, damn, this is good!
Final thingy I want to explain, is the song X.Y.U., why I put it twice on this release. The almost acoustic version is already very rare, and good too, but when the Smashing Pumpkins played as âThe Beatlesâ as opening act for Kiss in the Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, on 1998-10-31, they decided to redo X.Y.U. almost completely. Be prepared for an almost new song! It is one of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins live tracks of all times. The quality is quite decent, since it comes from the âFriends And Enemies Of Modern Music (60m cassette)â. Info found online about this famous demo/boot cassette:
From a 60m cassette given by BC to an online fan in April 2000, with instructions to \"circulate these\". The compilation was originally to be a 90m tape, but it got screwed up, so he dug up the Gravity demos instead, and made this 60m tape the next day. Two tracks were cut, on the end of each side… \"Well, tough shit.\"
Iâm sure this Renditions Live Compilation is no âtough shitâ but âextremely enjoyable shitâ. Have fun!
P.S. the covers mixed in Cash Car Star are Easy Livin’ – Uriah Heep, Foreplay – Boston, For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield and an instrumental tease from Wasted Years – Iron Maiden.
End edit 2009-11-28
Tracklist Part I, the acoustic renditions
01. – 03:02 – Iâll Never Change – (1990, exact date and location unknown)
02. – 03:27 – Obscured – (1991-09-??, Hotel room London UK)
03. – 04:53 – Snail – (1991-09-??, Hotel room London UK)
04. – 05:24 – Suffer – (1991-09-??, Hotel room London UK)
05. – 04:01 – Spaceboy – (1993-06-30, VPRO Radio Studio Villa 65, Hilversum NL)
06. – 06:17 – Starla – (1993-07-04, Raymond Revue Bar, London UK)
07. – 04:42 – Cherub Rock – (1993-12-12, Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles US)
08. – 06:39 – Hummer – (1993-12-12, Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles US)
09. – 05:35 – Rocket – (1993-12-12, Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles US)
10. – 04:01 – Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness – (1995, MTV US unaired footage, unknown date)
11. – 06:51 – Soma – (1996-01-31, Soma, San Diego US)
12. – 04:22 – Eye (feat. Marilyn Manson) (1997-10-18, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View US)
13. – 07:58 – X.Y.U. – (1997-10-18, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View US)
14. – 03:50 – Today – (2000-02-17, Tree Studio, Atlanta US)
15. – 05:07 – I Of The Mourning – (2000-04-03, WKQX-FM Studios, Chicago US)
16. – 03:06 – Blissed And Gone (feat. The Frogs) – (2000-12-02, Metro, Chicago US)
17. – 13:00 – Gossamer – (2007-06-05, Spandau Citadel, Berlin DE)
18. – 03:55 – Bleeding The Orchid – (2007-07-10, XM Live Performance Studio, Washington US)
19. – 07:05 – United States – (2007-07-10, XM Live Performance Studio, Washington US)
20. – 03:05 – Disarm (feat. Josh Groban) – (2008-10-26, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View US)
Tracklist Part II, the electric renditions
01. – 07:28 – Sun – (1989-03-16, WZRD-FM Studio, Chicago US)
02. – 04:16 – Rhinoceros – (1991-07-19, Club Babyhead, Providence US)
03. – 03:21 – Today – (1992-08-31, Kleine Markthalle, Hamburg DE)
04. – 09:44 – Starla – (1993-08-14, Metro, Chicago US)
05. – 13:15 – Silverfuck + Bye June – (1993-08-24, Melody, Stockholm SE)
06. – 02:54 – Disarm – (1993-09-00, Westwood Studios, London UK)
07. – 07:21 – Pissant + outtro – (1993-10-05, First Avenue, Minneapolis US)
08. – 04:42 – Window Paine – (1993-12-11, Bogartâs, Cincinnati US)
09. – 08:06 – I Am One – (1994-08-28, Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View US)
10. – 06:22 – Mayonaise – (1996, exact date and location unknown)
11. – 06:34 – By Starlight – (1997-01-08, GM Place, Vancouver CA)
12. – 40:13 – Silverfuck – (1997-02-01, Charlotte Coliseum, Charlotte US)
13. – 04:58 – The End Is The Beginning Is The End – (1997-06-27, Glastonbury Festival, Glastonbury UK)
14. – 09:20 – The Aeroplane Flies High – (1997-07-04, Eurokennes Festival, Belfort FR)
15. – 14:01 – For Martha – (1998-05-28, Botanique Gardens, Brussels BE)
16. – 08:58 – Crestfallen – (1998-06-19, Circular Quay, Sydney AU)
17. – 08:50 – Blank Page – (1998-08-04, Fox Theatre, Atlanta US)
18. – 12:05 – X.Y.U. – (1998-10-31, Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles US)
19. – 05:47 – Zero + outtro – (2000-01-24, Vredenburg, Utrecht NL)
20. – 04:17 – Pug – (2000-05-24, Community Theatre, Berkeley US)
21. – 07:46 – Ava Adore – (2000-10-27, Valby Hallen, Copenhagen DK)
22. – 10:34 – Cash Car Star + covers medley – (2008-02-05, Hallenstadion, Zurich CH)