Reply To: the reissues- they are out there…

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

i just got the SD one–

the album sounds MASSIVE…!!!
super super super clear… very very crisp!
and: MASSIVE still…
not per se a wall of sound, but very detailed, already very clear in CR…!

as for the SD bonus:

01. Pissant -> I would say another take, with loads of echo and flanger, but still a banger…

02. Siamese Dream -> TOTALLY different song to the Disarm 7: B-side; oh my god how they butchered this sister to HKK into the b-side version?! amazing song, great Pumpkins-jam! THE TRANSITION BETWEEN GISH AND SD as far as I am concerned…!!! :))) Amazing work there… Pumpkins-prime!!!! :) :) :) with LOADS of Hendrix in there, just listen to the very end… :)

(BC is SO right in his interviews on the re-issues— imagine this (and more to come and Pissant!) on SD…?! it would not have worked in any way!)

03. STP -> BC liked to call these songs: \"riff-a-thons\"… another bridge between old school heavy metal and blues and rock and all TSP were back then… Basically it’s kinda like Geek USA which is great because of the break downs and the drumming, but as per the riff(s) it’s pretty simple…. I’ve always filed STP as a percursor to Geek USA…

04. F+B -> the song is there, but this is an amazing version!!! very raw and ‘live’ I think and no vocals…! great solo work too… the band as a thing in its prime with guitar duels and all…

05. Luna -> a demo???? a lot of echo and reverb on both voice and guitar… a nice, very nice one, per me: preferred to the album version….

06. Quiet -> MASSIVE-rock mayhem… sounds like something not used on Vieuphoria as per the mix, which is pretty bad and muddy…TSP gives it their best, but my idea is they never ever got the impact of Quiet quite right on stage, nor here, but this take is getting pretty close…

07. Moleasskiss -> another transitional between Gish and SD…. just imagine this, HKK, F+B, Pissant and SD being on tjhe album and it would have been an epic fail… anoter riff-a-thon from the Pumpkins-vaults… a great ‘jam’, but indeed: a no-song per se…

08. Hello Kitty Kat -> the NOT destroyed mix and per thus: another groover from the Pumpkins files…I can just NOT imagine this on the album… Amazing version though!!!

09. Today -> dirty grungy version…. slightly slower, really grunge per se…

10. Never Let Me Down Again -> another mix? sound quite a lot better than the version on the Rocket 7\" or CDS…

11. Apathy’s Last Kiss -> as per the Japanese Today CDEP.

12. Ache -> Silverfuck before the massive Butch Vig production and everything, just the band having a splendid go…!!! Amazing track!!! Amazingly upfront bass guitar too!!!

13. USA -> an amazing jam-like song, which, AFAIC, could be a precursor to MCIS as per: Ruby for example… something like Plume-extended…

14. USSR -> why not? nobody knows. this could have been, together with USA that is, an amazing end to Silverfuck (live)

15. Spaceboy -> pretty lame to include this; a nice version without the strings, but basically the album take….

16. Rocket -> the intro is amazingly cool and exciting as is the rest of the song, much more ‘rocking’ than the album version… to me: the preferred version, this is!

17. Disarm -> no strings, basically the same as the album, very nice…

18. Soma -> no mega production, basically the ‘same’ as the album… but with a different break/solo part… DIRTY distortion after the mellow part…

all in all:
there are way more gems in the archives I have and all…
still…
the SD one gives a great look inside the musical growth of the epic album….

the following days I will post a review of the vinyls. And of Gish.