Reply To: Adore – Female Names in Songs

Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

I agree to an extent. There are songs on Machina that I do think are beautiful songs. I only listen to them individually though. Last time I listened to the album start to finish I felt like I was on the rack. It’s just too oppressive. I think the reason it’s so unapproachable has to do with Billy’s song writing for the record. From Adore into Machina a lot of his songs, from a poetic standpoint, were written in the High Modernist style. He switched more to stream of consciousness and lyrics that were overly metaphor laden. For me, I’m reminded of all the times I‘ve been forced to trudge through Ezra Pound and T.S. Elliot. It just kills the brain. I think Billy was just trying to show that he can wax poetic with the best of them. I’m not calling him pompous or intellectually elitist, but I think he did little to disprove that criticism here. Machina just doesn’t cut it as light listening. The acoustic demos are better though.

Oh, and by the way I’m a literature minor, so that’s where the semi- uppity lyric analysis comes from. Sorry. :wink: