Reply To: Siamese Dream US Promo CD

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:
maybe these were not marked per se as a promo?[/quote:34ptm22i]
I guess so. I have a signed "promo" CD of Live from 1994, the album Throwing Copper. It does not contain any promotional info, but Andre, the guy that gave it to me as a present, who is an ex-colleague and music lover too, told me the following story.

He worked in a little high profile bass building company back then, when the band Live came in his shop and the bass player talked with him a long time. (Andre is a bass player himself too). He bought 1 of the basses even, and give him their first album, with signatures as a present. At that moment the album was not out yet, and the band gave copies of the new pressing away during their tour. This is how I remember the story…[/quote:34ptm22i]

indeed!!!—

being a music critic/writer/journalist myself, i’ve recieved/been given numerous albums promotionally, which were totally UNMARKED!!!—
sometimes, these were ‘chipped’: i.e.: there was a small piece chipped from the case and liner…
sometimes, these featured crossed out barcodes…
every so often, these were just the standard, commercial release version(s)…

i really believe, with TSP exploding in popularity, LOADS and LOADS albums were sent out promotionally which were just culled from the normal standard commercial batch/run…
maybe: someone chipped/clipped some or crossed out the barcode or whatever…
maybe: in the US, someone stamped some copies with the ‘promotional’ stamp…

for me:
if there’s a copy WITH the ‘promotion only’ stamp…
if a copy is found or presented…
i’d say this is really rare!!!…

why?
as promotion for SD was at first pretty standard…
so: these true stamped promotional copies would not have totalled in the thousands to begin with…
as CR took off and of course: as Today became a smash hit single…
things changed and i can imagine, thousands of albums of SD were sent out to press and radio and all: NON STAMPED!!!… get them out ASAP!!!-

refer to:
the SD-sampler is quite rare… so are most SD-advance promo items.
post-SD release proper, post-Today release proper: the promotional scheme ‘awakes’/picks-up!!!

so:
i still think the stamped promo for SD is legit and OK and genuine…
i also think it’s quite rare.
i also think it’s an advance(d) promotional cd.
i also think these numbers could be rather low to quite/very low…

only when TSP ‘EXPLODED’…
Virgin went to promote the album in full!!!
thus: massive amounts sent out to press and radio and the like…
no need, no worry for a stamp or whatever: get the *shit* out there!!!

well-
that’s what i just tried to say…
even nowadays i expierence the same deal!…

for example:
the album ‘The Back Room’ by Editors…
there was some kinda buzz and NME-hype around Editors…
they’d just released two 7" singles on an indie label then…
they’d played quite a lot in the UK…
Editors then came over to The Netherlands to play the London Calling Festival…
i saw them there in a very very very small room which was packed beyond belief!!!…
plus!: Editors played beyond any belief, too!!! that show was massive!!!, period…!
now: upon reviews and the word-of-mouth-thing: Editors was getting ‘hot’ here in The Netherlands…
‘The Back Room’ as a proper release was far from due, then…
so: i got an officially made and screen-printed cdr with a printed insert sent to me for review purpouses…
of course!: it had to be NOW (then) and quickly!!!—
i did my review, so did my collegues… and: Editors went on and on and on…
>>>
this just goes to prove my fact in that sometimes things planned in promotion or something just move differently and how labels adjust to the given moments and factors…
for: with Editors, i KNOW for a FACT, the basic idea was to gradually ‘bring’ the band to the non-UK audiences via the singles and then the debut album and then: onwards…
for: with Editors, i KNOW for a FACT, this ONE show at the London Calling Festival changed this plan totally, at least for: The Netherlands!!!… hence: immediate promotional copies of the debut album sent out… hence: following the massive response from the press and the audience too: numerous shows… and: taking The Netherlands as a fertile growing ground/stepping stone/whatever…

back to TSP:

– my Editors-CDR per se IS quite rare…
– same deal: i got a promotional cdr for: The Long Blondes debut album, on cdr, too… same deal: The Long Blondes played the London Calling Festival and were destined to get ‘bigger’ (though: never went… unfortunately: especially as their frontlady is a true treat!)… this cdr went out to the press and to me, WAY!!! before the actual record came out!!!… therefore: that very cdr contains non-mastered, pre-master(ed) and/or rough-mixed tracks or rough mixes of tracks…!- still: it just HAD to get out there!!! for promotion’s sake!!!…
now: this cdr/these cdr’s (i’ve got a 5-track and a full album pre-master/rough cdr, haha) is/are ‘rare’…
– with: Editors > there’s some value there, commercially…
– with: The Long Blondes > maybe not; still: collecting-wise those cdrs, too, are quite collectable…

SO: as for TSP—

to me:
– a copy of a USA release(d) SD album with a ‘promotional only’ stamp would be quite rare-
– would in fact, be: most likely: an advance album promotional copy…
– thus: sent to press or media before the release date…

to me:
– following the ‘logic’ as with Editos and The Long Blondes (above)…
– after the release of SD and following the EXPLOSION of TSP…
– the stuff just had to be promo-ed out ASAP!!!…
– NOW they make cdr promo like with Editors and The Long Blondes, even from/of non-final masters…
– then: they just took commercial release SD copies and sent those out!!!…
– fuck the stamp(s)!- get it out there!
– like with Editors or The Long Blondes: fuck the master or not!- get it out there!
– so: Virgin just went on to promo SD out with the standard release version…!
(heck!: i personally even got ZEITGEIST as a promo sent to me!!!— this was the book version, with press-release and all; with the barcode crossed-out with a big black felt pen… so…)

happy hunting for the SD version WITH the STAMP!!!