Reply To: Prediction

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

like something is completely missing.[/quote:lueqhpw7]
Yeah, the spirit of a young band, eager to make it, whatever that is in whatever context. But Billy made it already, he has nothing to prove anymore as a youngster. He has something to prove as a 45 year old artist. I have seen several bands play live and release Greatest Hits version #1M, and those bands do what Billy doesn’t want. Yet, and hopefully never. But yeah, he is older, wiser in his own way, and he has a completely different perspective on life and its struggles with people, love, sex, drugs and other issues. And the current era in which we live in general. So I’m not blaming him for making the choices he made on Oceania.

Furthermore, I see absolutely no reason why changing or dismantling the flagship of the Smashing Pumpkins is going to change that (already grown) spirit. Billy still needs a drummer, a guitarist, a singer, a keyboard player for doing his type of art. And his voice, with his words, is one of the very characteristic elements of his musical art. I don’t even want that to be changed, if I may have a vote in that!

And he will never get back that spirit of the 1980 and 1990 era. He doesn’t even want to go there, as he stated many times already! Because those who stay there and never move on, are sad people, in a way. Just my humble opinion (too). And I see the moniker Smashing Pumpkins work for him and his current band, so why the need to change? I don’t see it at all.

And Billy writes about more current things, and expresses that in his current way. Intellectual? Maybe, he has always been intellectual, so that didn’t change. Forced? Maybe, but life (and the musical decisions within life) come with choices, give and take, and when Billy wants the band to be more involved compared to let’s say the Siamese Dream album, then some musical decisions might look forced. I don’t know, I don’t have that feeling about Oceania. It’s a mature, good album. Again very different from previous albums. Again with completely different art. And because of that very Smashing Pumpkins again. And in a 45 year old guy context who happens to be responsible for 75 to 99% of everything the Smashing Pumpkins are doing. Now and then. And hopefully a lot to follow in the future.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."