Reply To: Funeral Songs

Profile photo of Pipoka
On Pipoka wrote:

it’s weird, just how different other cultures than our own seem to be. if we never talked to each other online then we would never learn so many different things about other places in the world :)[/quote:327wul35]

True!

When I went to Mexico, we saw a video on our way to Chichen Itza about "Day of the Dead" "Dia de los Muertos" and I was shocked to know that there are people that spend the night in the cemetery, next to graves with cakes and stuff like that!

"Mexicans visit cemeteries, decorate the graves and spend time there – in the presence of their deceased friends and family members. They also make elaborately decorated altars (sometimes called ofrendas) in their homes to welcome the spirits."

"The spirits are greeted with offerings of food and things that the person enjoyed in life. These are laid out on a Day of the Dead altar in the family home. It is believed that the spirits consume the essence and the aroma of the foods that are offered. When the spirits depart, the living consume the food and share it with their family, friends and neighbors."

http://gomexico.about.com/od/festivalsh … e_dead.htm

I took a pic of a traditional mexican cemetery