Reply To: Billy Posts a Blog

Profile photo of luxe
On luxe wrote:

Well, I’m Canadian… and you can call me a Canuck anytime, it wont hurt my feelings.

I decided to do a bit of research, as I was uncertain exactly what a "Yankee" is. Webster’s Dictionary defines it as: inhabitant of U.S.A., esp. of New England, or of the Northern Stages. -a. belonging to the U.S.A. From what I read the orgin of the word is from when British General James Wolfe referred to the New England soldiers under his command as Yankees: "I can afford you two companies of Yankees." The "Yankee and Pennamite" war was a series of clashes over land titles in Pennsylvania, 1769, in which "Yankee" meant the Connecticut claimants.

Now let’s have some more fun, and look up Canuck: n. (sl) (French) Canadian. Wikipedia says: Canadians use "Canuck" as an affectionate description of nationality and the word carries no particular patriotic overtones. A few Americans misinterpret "Canuck" as an offensive noun but would be hard pressed to find a Canadian, French or English, insulted by the word.

So why can’t we all just get along???

I’ll be the bigger person here if I must, and say no harm was intended… and if I insulted anyone, I am deeply sorry.

Kit’n[/quote:2pecj6q0]

Thank you, Kit’n for taking the time to look into the words. The thing about being called a "Yank" is that Yanks were those who treated every race equally (which is a good thing) but those who called people "Yanks" meant it as an insult, as a synonym to someone who is sympathetic to a word I absolutely will not say. So it’s derogatory because those who have beliefs with the Confederate Nation say that as a slam to those (like myself) who believe all races are equal.

I was shocked to realize that there was still such biases in this day and age. I was not prepared for it when I married someone who has roots from the deep south, but please note he is not a racist at all. When I brought a friend to visit at our beach house down south who is not Caucasian, his relatives (not him, personally) were so racist to her and called me a Yank. It was horrific to see that kind of racism with people who are young and not of an era that supported racism. I told them later that I am of Spanish descent and that was also not okay.

Thus, I am very uptight when I hear the word "yank" as it is meant to be a derogatory slur.

You are the bigger person and the word just has a horrible attachment for me and my apologies for being hypersensitive about that word.

I realize that you didn’t mean it as a bad thing. It’s just very hard for me to understand how people can be so racist in these current times (not you, but people that I have experienced). Truly, some people still fly the confederate flag and believe that they are somehow superior and it boggles my mind and makes me very sad. America is supposed to be a melting pot of different nationalities and it is hard for me to see the old ways still rearing their ugly heads – but that isn’t your fault. Again, you have my apology and hope you can understand why it upset me.

My apology to you and thank you for looking into the words.

~luxe