Reply To: Siamese Dream US Promo CD

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

I sorta tend to agree with Easy on this one. Sven has a point, but we’re talking about a promotional CD here, which is meant to be made cheaply for mass distribution, albeit, not too large, as you’d want to make a profit from the real CD.

Anyway, there exists a 5 trk sampler CD for Siamese Dream, where is the full album promo that has been rumoured to exist all these years? For fucks sake, it wouldn’t be hard to just make a copy yourself, gold lettering or silver or whatever color and just say it’s the real deal.

At this point, I don’t think it exists, because it’s not like we’re talking 10 or less here. We’re talking at least a 1,000 pressed by Virgin.

Also rumoured is a Gish US promo CD, which I also believe does not exist.

My opinion is that Pisces and Mellon Collie came out, right around the time spfc.org went online (correct me if I’m wrong), and it was assumed some US promotional stamping was done for SD and Gish, however, I think over time, this assumption has been proven false. Not a big leap of faith to assume these were made, however, I think it’s safe to say, it’s wrong.[/quote:k0v38h3n]

1 – i think the 5 track promo was mostly used as an advance promo.

2 – surely there were full album promotional copies and review copies for SD. my guess is these were the standard release albums, which may or may not have been stamped or stickered with promotional information or something.

3 – for press and radio and all, these would have totalled quite high numbers i think. surely when the album kicked off in popularity. using the commercial and standard release version for this reason and not make a promotional version proper, maybe due to time contraints, as many copies had to be made quite fast when demand from press and radio kicked into gear. this might mean promotional copies sent out total thousands across the globe.

4 – maybe these were not marked per se as a promo?

5 – some must have been; SPFC took loads of info from DA’s txt-based discography and his entries were quite well researched and verified. so: i think at least one copy must have popped up somewhere, back then. when DA made his discography. happy hunting :)