Reply To: QUES / REMARK(S): Tarantula / That’s the Way 7\" vinyl

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

the colour (red vs. purple) is directly linked to the origin (us vs. uk).[/quote:sw4kiq7b]
agreed, that’s perfectly clear, indeed.

and it’s not so weird to have a different pressing for us and uk. it’s happened before, and also for limited vinyl releases. check out the 1979 mixes 12" for example. it was released in the us and in the uk, and both releases have a different rpm.

my theory is that it’s more common in the us to release 33 rpm vinyl singles. and in the uk 45 rpm vinyl singles are the norm.[/quote:sw4kiq7b]
which would be odd. i just can’t think of a valid reason for different rpms across these territories…
i can understand a 7" @ 33rpm to fit a longer time, but this fits perfectly on either speeds.
i checked some of my books on vinyl collecting and online sources, but was unable to find any hard rule for 33 rpm for US singles. as a matter of fact; most US pressings seem to adhere to the 45rpm speed.

either way, if the single gets a vinyl release in both uk and us, it’s only normal they have unique pressing plates. this has always been this way. (if this wasn’t the case, the vinyl is normally pressed in one country, and then maybe exported.)
check out the siamese dream vinyls, for an example of this: the little bit of talking between spaceboy and silverfuck is on side 3 on the us release, but on side 4 on the uk release. (or was it the other way around?)[/quote:sw4kiq7b]
of course two different pressing plates are not unique for split territory releases.
i was just wondering as to the why of two releases. this release was quite limited i estimate.
same as the 1979 mixes 12" indeed. i find it a little bit strange in fact to produce split releases for these quite limited editions.
therefore indeed: i wonder why there wasn’t just one pressing made, including subsequent import/export.

i just never noticed the difference in the SD vinyls. thanks for pointing that one out!