Reply To: cherub rock test press

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

don’t they also try to destroy test pressings when they no longer need them?
maybe there simply aren’t any test pressings anymore for a lot of releases.

and i think that if you’re in the situation where you simply can’t tell, and where plenty of white label promos are known to exist, there is no reason to call it a test pressing. there is no point, and it’s most likely false.
the chance that it actually is a test pressing (i.e. pressed for the specific purpose of checking the quality) is tiny. first of all, one would have to assume that once the pressing was approved, they used the handful of test pressings as promos, instead of keeping them or destroying them. this is not a given. on top of that, the amount of test pressings is small compared to the amound of promos they pressed afterwards.[/quote:3euho3i9]

1. I don’t think those are per se destroyed, but discarded: yes. as was the case with the Tristessa 7" TPs. they were found by accident. i.e.: these were forgotten about. no longer of use, so forgotten…

2. agreed. provenance is everything. if it comes from the inside of the band or producer or label or from a mastering company such as Townhouse for example, you bet it will be legit as a TP. otherwise, you just can not tell and most most most likely it will be from the very first batch of the commercial pressing which is made with white labels to be used as promos.