Reply To: SP subscription?

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

Wow, I’m very surprised! I’m sure I was not the only one emailing Frank, but he actually picked up some ideas I send him… 8) This is what I mailed him today, as I thought he should not choose, but embrace both concepts (physical and downloadable releases):

Short term/middle term:
1. The best 25 live shows in a state-of-the-art CD/DVD box set, but also available as individual releases.
2. Pisces Iscariot II and III on CD, with a limited edition vinyl release, which is a numbered set with a bonus 7" vinyl.
3. Pisces Iscariot II and III will become available for downloading (FLAC/MP3) after 3 months of the CD release also.

Long term:
1. Subscription to a monthly or quarterly 7" release of all songs on Pisces Iscariot II and III CDs.
2. SP 25 years book.

Worthwhile a try:
Release all live shows as FLAC/MP3 downloads + on CD like the Nugs.NET concept (presuming they made some profit with the 20th Anniversary Tour of course). Also, same story for all studio material that is worthwhile releasing. This last one can be done also with a subscriptional concept: every quarter or half year an EP with 4-5 songs on CD, and 3 months later they will become available as FLAC/MP3 downloads also.[/quote:3w21enor]
it’s a bad idea to make downloads available only 3 months after the cd release. people who want a download will never buy it then: they will download it illegally when the cd comes out. (even if they want to pay, they can’t at that time. some people want to pay, but most people, especially these days, don’t want to wait.)
if you want to combine downloads with a physical release, it’s best to do both at the same time, or even release the download one week earlier.

i guess you suggest this so that there would be an extra advantage for the people who are in the fan club, but it would be a bad thing for the sales outside of the fan club.

also, i think your suggestions are a bit over the top. that will never happen. it’s making things too complicated. and i’d be happy with a lot less, personally. just proper cd and vinyl releases, which will be limited anyway, if i understand it correctly, are good enough for me.

pisces iscariot 2 & 3 would imply a lot of b-sides (i.e. already released), just like the original pisces iscariot and judas o. i don’t think people are waiting for that. milking the concept, by re-releasing every song on a 7" (with a new, unheard track as b-side, i assume), would create even more redundancy.
this all looks cool from a collector’s point of view (omg so much to collect! omg a box set!), but this is about getting music out, i think. not about spending a year on creating the best release ever.
like i said, i’m already very happy that they’re planning to release stuff on proper cds.