SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: General

Topic: american gothic ep comin!

This topic contains 61 replies, has 9,295 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arthur Arthur 9 years, 9 months ago.

On Arthur wrote:

here you go the new ep is coming in january! only on itunes grrrr :twisted:

Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanlinessAnd cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty just like meIntoxicated with the madness, I'm in love with my sadness
Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

ugh. don’t have itunes, don’t have credit card, gonna have to rely on someone uploading it and letting me d/l it for free :?

I’m annoyed about this…

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Profile photo of toad32r
Participant
On toad32r wrote:

i got your back, man!

Ribbit...Toad-----------------Toads are really underated!!
Profile photo of toad32r
Participant
On toad32r wrote:

Its being released in stores outside the US. Ill get em’ and ship if you guys need one. Let me know.(January 2nd) Friend can get em’

Ribbit...Toad-----------------Toads are really underated!!

Thanks!

I’ll check and see if it’s gonna have a UK/EU release sometime, just to make sure :)

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

I live in US. I can get anyone on here copies if they want. I wonder if I’ll download on iTunes. Probably not, I think I’ll wait for the actual release.

This is really cool of them. I mean, when the hell did the \"collective We\" pen and record these songs? Who are the collective We anyway?

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

hmm… aren’t the actual cds going to be released outside of the US? i think you are the one who should be getting a copy from someone else.

Who are the collective We anyway?[/quote:3fwp9dzc] Not just Billy Corgan :lol:

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

hmm… aren’t the actual cds going to be released outside of the US? i think you are the one who should be getting a copy from someone else.[/quote:3ooc5brg]

Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.

in my time of dying
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
Who are the collective We anyway?[/quote:1oavy0zw] Not just Billy Corgan :lol:[/quote:1oavy0zw]

BC/JC again or entire new group? Zeitgeist was not just Billy either, but curious about the involvement of two potential new members. Wondering if it will affect the music at all. Maybe it will be inconspicuous or subtle enough that no obvious difference is noted.

I do know one thing: we don’t have to wait long to find out!!!

in my time of dying

Wikipedia says that it’ll get a physical international release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_G … kins_EP%29

And we all know how reliable wikipedia is when it comes to speculated info. :roll:

BC/JC again or entire new group? Zeitgeist was not just Billy either, but curious about the involvement of two potential new members. Wondering if it will affect the music at all. Maybe it will be inconspicuous or subtle enough that no obvious difference is noted.[/quote:bv45nqof]

Personally i reckon it’s gonna be the whole group. Billy’s stress that it’s ‘We’ seems like it’s gonna be the group. He knows he has a reputation as a solo-artist-in-a-band approach to records, so by insisting that it’s ‘We’ not ‘I’ makes it seem to me that he’s involving the other members as well. Basically, he has his reputation, and needs to explicitly state that it’s not just him recording. Most bands don’t need to do this, but Billy does. Cuz of the reputation. I think I’m rambling.

Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.[/quote:21tatkbl]nah, it’s all on sp.com

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_2846

just read the title and you know enough. there’s more info in the rest of the article though.

In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, American Gothic will be available as a physical product at retail.[/quote:21tatkbl]

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.[/quote:22a8pi95]nah, it’s all on sp.com

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_2846

just read the title and you know enough. there’s more info in the rest of the article though.

In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, American Gothic will be available as a physical product at retail.[/quote:22a8pi95][/quote:22a8pi95]

That’s great information, but something tells me not to trust it. :?

But if it turns out that it truly is ONLY available on iTunes in the US, I’ll be pretty disappointed. I mean, how hard is it to make a US release? Why would they not release a physical release in the US? Not everyone likes/has iTunes…seems like a good way to disenchant a number of American fans. They’ve been good at that lately.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

My contact says it will hit the shelves here at the end of January 2008. It will be released on iTunes first.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of lilkitn
On lilkitn wrote:

Well, I’m pretty happy that album is available to us non US peeps. After all of the other Zeitgeist copies were only available in the US, I think it’s a good way to make it up to us. I had to get the special edition DVD off of Ebay because I couldn’t buy it in Canada… this is a nice change. I guess I’m just happy I wont have to buy it off of Ebay again. If someone asks nice, I can see if I can mail them a copy. :wink:

Kit’n

Why would they not release a physical release in the US?[/quote:27tul5jy]
They have a deal with iTunes to release it as an iTunes exclusive. This means only iTunes can release it in the US.

I think that’s really stupid, but if you read that article, Billy says that "it just felt right"…

"I had written a bunch of material during the residencies in Asheville and San Francisco [earlier this year]," continues Billy, "and fans kept asking us if we were gonna put any of that stuff out. iTunes came to us wanting to do something together, so it just felt right."[/quote:27tul5jy]

Just like the exclusive Zeitgeist releases with bonus tracks: Billy doesn’t seem to think this is screwing over the fans who want all the extra songs, he thinks about it as if it’s a new and fresh thing to do in today’s music industry. (That’s what he says in one of those Zeitgeist interview videos. He’s talking about "what track will we give to what store") He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.

Profile photo of tree_spirit
On Tree_Spirit wrote:
Why would they not release a physical release in the US?[/quote:3n7nx2rf]
They have a deal with iTunes to release it as an iTunes exclusive. This means only iTunes can release it in the US.

I think that’s really stupid, but if you read that article, Billy says that "it just felt right"…

"I had written a bunch of material during the residencies in Asheville and San Francisco [earlier this year]," continues Billy, "and fans kept asking us if we were gonna put any of that stuff out. iTunes came to us wanting to do something together, so it just felt right."[/quote:3n7nx2rf]

Just like the exclusive Zeitgeist releases with bonus tracks: Billy doesn’t seem to think this is screwing over the fans who want all the extra songs, he thinks about it as if it’s a new and fresh thing to do in today’s music industry. (That’s what he says in one of those Zeitgeist interview videos. He’s talking about "what track will we give to what store") He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:3n7nx2rf]

I don’t really think Billy and the use of itunes and releasing music this way as *screwing over the fans*because he knows lot of Sp fan base is via the internet in the first place.There are some places in all honesty that pumpkins music dont reach.Only way to reach some fans are via the net.Like here,finding a smashing pumpkins album or songs is like finding a four leaf clover,it takes luck.I never really had a problem with release of music threw itunes.I rather it be released on itunes honestly,these are days of ipod’s and mp.3 player .My ipod holds 7500 songs,i would love them all to be Pumpkins songs..;P

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/9411/b492200713e331baq9.png
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:171v8s8s]
Utterly disagree. It’s us that are losing it, when we can’t accept the fact that in history every now and then new platforms appear where musicians can release their songs. When Billy never tried the possibilities of the market, we would still be waiting till he came to visit our country to sell us his cassettes at a concert.

And we wouldn’t have Machina II for free, or Live Music Archive with hundreds of free concerts to download. A Smashing Pumpkins fan that wants it all, has all the possibilities today to get it all, quick and cheap, in many formats in the end. In this case of American Gothic we have to wait less than 1 month more to get it on CD. Come on! What about the Russians, the Arabs, the Africans and the Chinese that NEVER get any good popsongs of any band at all? That’s the real problem!

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:jm35e9yr]
Utterly disagree. It’s us that are losing it, when we can’t accept the fact that in history every now and then new platforms appear where musicians can release their songs. When Billy never tried the possibilities of the market, we would still be waiting till he came to visit our country to sell us his cassettes at a concert.

And we wouldn’t have Machina II for free, or Live Music Archive with hundreds of free concerts to download. A Smashing Pumpkins fan that wants it all, has all the possibilities today to get it all, quick and cheap, in many formats in the end. In this case of American Gothic we have to wait less than 1 month more to get it on CD. Come on! What about the Russians, the Arabs, the Africans and the Chinese that NEVER get any good popsongs of any band at all? That’s the real problem![/quote:jm35e9yr]

You make a good point Arthur, but the whole exclusive thing is what bothers me. If I didn’t collect internationally anyway, I’d have to download iTunes and use their interface just to get to music I wanted. If the collective We wants to release it this way, that’s fine. Seems to me like they could press, limited even, some US release to actually grab onto and hold in your hand.

I see it like this: release in US on CD/CS whatever, as you would normally. Just make it available on iTunes earlier or something. It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.[/quote:3l6edcpx]
What the f*ck is exclusivity in this modern world of Amazon, eBay, emailing your international friends to get it for you… It means nothing. And which dumb person has ever had the guts to put this word on a release that will be released 1 month later on CD anyway? And after all, don’t you collectors all love the UK vinyls of the Pumpkins afterwards? Me, being a CD only collector, is still missing the vinyl only extra tracks… (ahem, not really of course, but they were never released on official CD format anyway).

Lilkitn from outside the US says it just right: "I think it’s a good way to make it up to us.". But Billy was not thinking of Lilkitn when he decided to do iTunes first, then a CD for non-US residents. I’m sure he’s balancing the music he wants to bring out, together with the possibilities of the market and to give it this format(s) that he can still earn a few bucks. Which we all know is just a louzy amount of bucks these days. It’s the festivals, concerts and merchandise that gives the band a way of living, not those 600 types of Zeitgeist and a 1 month iTunes US-exclusive release of American Gothic.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Why would Billy choose a title like \"American Gothic\" anyway?

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.[/quote:x1tm7pux]
What the f*ck is exclusivity in this modern world of Amazon, eBay, emailing your international friends to get it for you… It means nothing. And which dumb person has ever had the guts to put this word on a release that will be released 1 month later on CD anyway? And after all, don’t you collectors all love the UK vinyls of the Pumpkins afterwards? Me, being a CD only collector, is still missing the vinyl only extra tracks… (ahem, not really of course, but they were never released on official CD format anyway).

Lilkitn from outside the US says it just right: "I think it’s a good way to make it up to us.". But Billy was not thinking of Lilkitn when he decided to do iTunes first, then a CD for non-US residents. I’m sure he’s balancing the music he wants to bring out, together with the possibilities of the market and to give it this format(s) that he can still earn a few bucks. Which we all know is just a louzy amount of bucks these days. It’s the festivals, concerts and merchandise that gives the band a way of living, not those 600 types of Zeitgeist and a 1 month iTunes US-exclusive release of American Gothic.[/quote:x1tm7pux]

What’s exclusive about the release is that in the US you have to go to iTunes to get it. It’s corporate. It’s involving another layer of "someone gettin’ paid" to the music access. I don’t like it. Just release it on your own label and tell iTunes to fuck off. Why would I support iTunes, a program run by the same fucks who released the iPhone for $600 and then charge you $80 to replace the battery after 2 months. iTunes has it’s own file extensions, which I presume can be converted, but again, I have to support this "other company" first, and quite frankly, I don’t like iTunes. Do you see what I’m getting at?

It’s like the Eagles album that was released this year. They did an exclusive promotion through Walmart. Only place to get the album was there. Walmart pushes smaller business out of the way, they don’t pay their employees didly-squat, and they are homogenizing all the products they sell. They are corrupt. If SP released an album exclusively through Walmart, I wouldn’t buy it.

Reprise Records? Warner Music? Virgin? I have no problem with these companies. iTunes? It blows, and I don’t want to support it. And I feel that this American Gothic bullshit forces me to because I live in the US.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Do you see what I’m getting at? <edit> iTunes? It blows, and I don’t want to support it. And I feel that this American Gothic bullshit forces me to because I live in the US.[/quote:34znd9mx]
No, I don’t understand a single penny of it, sorry. You told us yourself you are happy living in the US, a FREE country. So you choose to either buy it, or don’t buy it and wait for the next option, knowing already now there IS a next option. Happy you, you could at least choose. Many cannot.

Remember the times in the 1980’s when the vinyl platform was changed to the CD platform? Did you buy 1 of the first CD players for 2,500 US$ just because you had seen this album that was only pressed on CD and was not pressed on vinyl anymore? Probably not.

Next thing is, releasing music the oldfashioned way (like vinyl or CD) is way more expensive in the end, compared to an iTunes download. You can see that already on the iTunes prices. There is not "another layer of "someone gettin’ paid" to the music access" with iTunes. It’s another platform, just that. When CDs are being pressed, they need a jewelcase, a booklet, some artwork. There needs to be moulds, empty CDs, personel to do the actual pressing, assembling, packing. Then they ship it to another place/country, to the importer/wholeseller. The importer re-sells it to the shops, and ships it again. Expensive! iTunes skips a lot of these layers. Less expensive (in the end, after the initial costs of development of this new platform are covered)!

Don’t get me wrong, I hate iTunes too, as I want to hold a CD and read the booklet and admire the artwork in my hands also. But that’s another reason as iTunes being corporate or being another layer. It’s not completely true, and the part of it that is true… it’s been like that with every change of platform. This a new century, a new era manillascissor, blow that dust from your brains and get used to it :P

What I meant is that Billy doesn’t make sense:
– First he claims that he hates the music industry.
– More recently, he states that he’s glad things are changing and that the typical record-release-and-promote-an-album routine is no longer the only way of releasing music.
– And then, the exclusive releases pop up. What does he mean, alternate ways of releasing music? What has changed then? That there are five Zeitgeists now, instead of one? Seems just the same to me. And isn’t he helping the music industry here? Playing along with their game? \"It just felt right\"?

I also don’t really get it.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In