SPfreaks Forum

 

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: An eBay gem

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1,017 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sven Sven 9 years, 6 months ago.

On Sven wrote:

Take a look at this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … :IT&ih=023

Can anyone tell if this is a real release from Delabel, intended for a live CD release… or if an intern at the company wanted to make a bootleg for himself/herself on the company’s penny?….

Its odd because it surfaces about 8 years after the concert and was never released as a promo from Hut/Virgin.

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

Yeah I noticed it a few days ago also. It looks genuine, doesn’t it? It contains all the tracks of the TV broadcast, and obviously pressed in a very low quantity. When this pressing went to a lot of Smashing Pumpkins fans, you won’t see it much on the market. I have never seen it before! But paying 1,125 bucks for that thing is plain and simple: crazy.

Delabel released quite a few France-only promos (pretty rare & highly collectible if you ask me! :wink: ) so it doesn’t surprise me much that every now and then we find new ones from the Pumpkins. It was only last year that I finally found (pics of) the rumoured French promo release of Mellon Collie. The reason for releasing this live promo is not known to me at the moment, I’m sorry…

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of tiny
Participant
On tiny wrote:

The price on this is crazy if it is anthing like the tritessa grey 7” that recently got to $1500, it will be relisted as the high bidder defaulted. If you got that sort of cash to spend on a CD you should cut to the chase and just buy the band themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Arthur, what do you know of the french mellon collie 2 cd delabel promo? I have only ever seen two listed on ebay. You have scans of the item on your website. http://www.spfreaks.com/Default.aspx?pa … &item=1641

Never seen it talked about anywhere else.

I am interested as I own a copy which I won on ebay last year. If you do not have a copy i can give you more info about it.

I thought was onto a winner with this CD as some one paid over $700 for the US acetate promo last year, the french one has to be rarer.

bryan

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

I emailed the seller of the auction, warning them about the zero feedback bidder. Who knows, could be an alias that the seller is using. At any rate, I read over Arthur’s response above and have concluded that $1125 is indeed too much for these two CDs.

I do believe them to be real, and really wish I could have them. I could even afford them, but I just think the seller or someone else is jacking up the price way too high.

Oh well.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Seller’s response:

hello
to be honest with you , I’ve got serious doubt about the highest bidder because I have sent him 2 emails to ask him if he’s not joking…and I’ve got no answer !!!
I think I can cancel his biddings…and I ‘ll probably do it today.
Why is it a so special item ? Please tell me…
Good luck for the end of this sale.

————————————————————————————————————————————–

This seems odd, because now someone else (w/ relatively no feedback rating) bumped it right back to over $1000. Weird.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of tiny
Participant
On tiny wrote:

It looks legitimate and has never really been seen before!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is the real deal and I believe someone is artificially boosting the price. I bet it will be relisted.

I probably would not bid on it if it was relisted due to what is happening, I am losing confidence in the seller.

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

Arthur, what do you know of the french mellon collie 2 cd delabel promo? I have only ever seen two listed on ebay. You have scans of the item on your website. http://www.spfreaks.com/Default.aspx?pa … &item=1641

Never seen it talked about anywhere else.

I am interested as I own a copy which I won on ebay last year. If you do not have a copy i can give you more info about it.

I thought was onto a winner with this CD as some one paid over $700 for the US acetate promo last year, the french one has to be rarer.

bryan[/quote:bp7duavz]
Hey Bryan, I wouldn’t be too sure that this MCIS French promo is more rare as the MCIS acetate from the US. I personally own the US acetate set (complete) while indeed 1 cd of that set did 700 bucks on eBay, I remember that too. I was wondering what that complete set would be worth…. 1,400 bucks at least? And my one off MCIS acetates previously owned by Billy Corgan? Even more? No way! I think the world is turning completely crazy when cds bring in more money as vinyl, just my humble opinion. Back to the subject: I have only seen my complete US acetate set, and this 1 cd on eBay. The French promo however was known to me by several people on this big record fair in NL, at least 2 or 3 copies have appeared there, confirmed by sellers that had them in the old days. I’ve seen 1 on eBay too (going for 60-70 UK pounds if I remember well), and you say you’ve seen 2 also, so there are several at least.

If you can fully scan your French MCIS promo copy Bryan, would be nice! The few eBay pics we have now are kinda crappy… :evil:

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Another reply:

hello
first of all thank you for your informations.

I must admit that this is the first time one of my sale is so crazy !!! And I’m selling for some years…
Of course this could easily be a copy, because the sleeve is just a printed paper and the sticker on the cd could be easily made too.
But if you look to my feedback you can see I’m an honest ebayer.
Secondly I’ ve known nothing about Smashing Pumkins popularity before .
Third I found this item in the stock of a radio station who sold some of its record collection.
I hope you believe me…this is the only guarantees I could give you…and my world of honour of course !

I don’t understand why you say the highest bidder won’t pay me. As you may seen I have cancelled the bids from a bidder I consider he was not serious (he don’t answer my emails and have no feedback).

The quality of the sound is good. I can send you some extracts if you want.

To finish ,you are not the first one who want to buy this item immediatly. But I’m curious to know how much it can reach. So I will gamble (with the devil ????)

One last thing, some Smashing Pumpkins collectors (who can’t bid so high) offer me to pay just to copy them this show !!!

Once again I don’t know what to think about this crazy story…but this is very exciting !!!

thanks again to you…

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

the delabel promo does look genuine.
just check against the cdr Untitled promo from delabel, same sticker on the disc and all

i think delabel made a rip from the tv broadcast recording
hopefully before it hit the air, straight from the post-mixed multichannel sbd matrix feed.
that would sound quite ok i guess.
it’s the broadcast cut as there are songs missing such as in the tv broadcast

know- why are these missing?
didn’t the band allow broadcast of these songs – which i see happen a lot in my work…
or
did these song get cut because of the broadcast length?
or
did they fuck up recording???

however/whatever – a 2 cdr delabel promo set featuring the tv-broadcast part of the Bercy show might in fact be pretty damn rare, but these prices are ridiculous.

and i start to wonder what would happen if i put up some of my true one-offs on auction or my demo tapes??? crazy stuff for real…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×
 
 
×
 
  • Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In

×