SPfreaks Forum

 

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: Cassette/MiniDisc—Future Obsolete Formats

This topic contains 14 replies, has 1,652 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sven Sven 8 years, 5 months ago.

On Sven wrote:

As collectors, what do you think about SP items released on formats that probably won’t be in existence 5 years from now? I have been giving serious consideration to re-acquiring several items on cassette (sealed, ideally), just for the simple fact that for the true completist, would want to have those. Obviously promo cassettes would be even rarer.

Now the question would be, would they increase in value as time goes on, or would they be considered more like 8-track tapes, where you’d be lucky to sell 25 tapes for $1.00?

I also think that the Machina Mini-Disc could be a nice one-off item for future reference.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

Now the question would be, would they increase in value as time goes on, or would they be considered more like 8-track tapes, where you’d be lucky to sell 25 tapes for $1.00?

I also think that the Machina Mini-Disc could be a nice one-off item for future reference.

Thoughts?[/quote:aqcofve4]
I think exactly that will happen: cassettes not very collectible, vinyl on the other hand always will be, and cds, dvds, bluerays and minidiscs will increase in value. Only the rare and special releases that is of course, and vinyl will probably be higher priced in general, as it is an older format, and knows more hardcore collectors… There is also the Mellon Collie mini disc, by the way, but I’m sure you knew that. :wink:

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

cassettes are worthless already.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

i disagree. it depends on what type of cassette we’re talking about. if it’s an early demo cassette, that will be like vinyl. an early booking tool used to promote the band in the absolute earliest days, so very rare and very desireable.

i collect the shit out of promo cassettes, i’m sure they will retain their value. if not, sell me your rare ones for $1, i’d be happy to buy them. :wink:

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

i disagree. it depends on what type of cassette we’re talking about. if it’s an early demo cassette, that will be like vinyl. an early booking tool used to promote the band in the absolute earliest days, so very rare and very desireable.

i collect the shit out of promo cassettes, i’m sure they will retain their value. if not, sell me your rare ones for $1, i’d be happy to buy them. :wink:[/quote:2sgxn25l]

Agree. :)

Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
Member
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

For the hardcore collectors, their perceived value will increase because it is an obsolete format – it’s more interesting then, and harder to get a hold of.

For the casual, it will decrease because frankly, it’s not that impressive.

Basically, prices will lessen because it will only be a niche group that wants it.

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Profile photo of Collectspumpkins
Member
On Collectspumpkins wrote:

For the hardcore collectors, their perceived value will increase because it is an obsolete format – it’s more interesting then, and harder to get a hold of.

For the casual, it will decrease because frankly, it’s not that impressive.

Basically, prices will lessen because it will only be a niche group that wants it.[/quote:2sssma7g]

That is pretty dead on right there.

I just wonder if you’ll need to include a cassette player with your auction in 5 years….hehehehe

Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

But look at Pisces Iscariot for example. I think it becomes a somewhat more interesting item when all formats have different covers, although that album hasn’t got any extra songs on it.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

But look at Pisces Iscariot for example. I think it becomes a somewhat more interesting item when all formats have different covers, although that album hasn’t got any extra songs on it.[/quote:3oaib2bf]

Yes, and some cassettes come in slipcases (from AU or KR) or UK/US singles, and those are fun to collect as well.

Maybe it’s just me, but I love cassettes and am working on collecting as many as I can all the time.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

Yeah, I’m collecting SP cassettes as well. I’m in search for the Today cassette in slipcase. That must be quite rare, haven’t even seen one yet-
And more cassette kinda stuff from the SD-era.

Although I’ve got SD, Pisces, MC&IS, 1979 and BWBW on tape.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Yeah, I’m collecting SP cassettes as well. I’m in search for the Today cassette in slipcase. That must be quite rare, haven’t even seen one yet-
And more cassette kinda stuff from the SD-era.

Although I’ve got SD, Pisces, MC&IS, 1979 and BWBW on tape.[/quote:3fph5590]

There is a Today UK and AU in slipcases, just in case you’re not aware. I mean to scan these sometime soon. I think one is on the site already but the other is not.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

I’m really not a cassettes collector, but when I found a seller from Thailand, I ordered all Thai cassette albums he could find, and a set for my modding friend manilla here also. Next to that I think I have the rarest Pisces Iscariot around: from Peru (yes, Peru! of all places!) and it has the CD artwork. No other PI cassette we know so far has that. 8)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

I’m really not a cassettes collector, but when I found a seller from Thailand, I ordered all Thai cassette albums he could find, and a set for my modding friend manilla here also. Next to that I think I have the rarest Pisces Iscariot around: from Peru (yes, Peru! of all places!) and it has the CD artwork. No other PI cassette we know so far has that. 8)
[/quote:2kpr5v5u]

This is why you’re a fly guy. I want that! Too cool. 8)

in my time of dying
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Oh and what about laserdiscs? Believe it or not, I’ve seen plenty of these with Pumpkin tracks on them. Now these are next to worthless….

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

dead formats normally tend to get worthless-

i.e.: 8-track, MD, DAT, DCC, LaserDisc, cassette…

however-

the early TSP demo tapes will remain valuable-
as will these from other bands-
just for the true collection’s sake-

there just are more completists or collectors looking for those TITLES than looking for a standard title on CASSETTE… I guess?!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×
 
 
×
 
  • Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In

×