SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Support – SPfreaks

Topic: DONE: Survived a disaster…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 85 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anonymous Anonymous 9 years ago.

On confuciousconfusing wrote:

Hi you all…

After around 6 years of continuesly being powered on, in extreme circumstances (dust, cat-hair, smoke, high temperature), the hardware started to malfunction. Windows 2003 server, servicepack 1, wasn’t so critical about the hardware conditions, but after applying servicepack 2, blue screens were the result. It drove me nuts to find out the reason but after a full diagnostic the motherboard seemed to be the problem (processor/memory – timing and addressing issues). Final judgement: the hardware had worn out.

So there I stood, a server that went dead and a few \"customers\" that were \"not amused\" :wink: . As the server is critical for more than SPfreaks only, I had to work out a solution quickly. I’m not so wealthy that I have spare computers at the shelf to restore the server. But I have my connections and I could arrange quickly a new one (second hand, in good conditions). It costs all my credits, but hey, the end justifies the means.

Restore of a Windows 2003 server isn’t as bad as it look. Install Windows 2003, applying servicepacks, hotfixes and service-updates. The installation is quite straight forward – if you know what you are doing. The hardest part is to restore/install/configure all the services that are running on the server.

For those who are interested, a few highlights:[list:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]The server is our gateway to broadband internet with a backup connection through another ISP. The SPfreaks domain uses broadband only; the backup connection is for private use. The server is setup as router and firewall (both connections and directions) and provides DNS and DHCP for the private intranet.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]I’m getting a dynamic IP address by my ISP, while using a domain like spfreaks.com which need to be forwarded to my server. I had to restore the dynamic DNS service.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]For hosting purpose: IIS (internet information services), FTP, TELNET and email (and webmail) services.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]Installation of .NET framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0 and PHP runtime environment.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]On the old server I used MS SQL 2000, while I had to migrate to SQL 2005 because of Windows 2003 servicepack 2. I had to convert the SQL 2000 databases to SQL 2005 and setup the several instances (like for SPfreaks, running on 3 databases).[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]Reconfiguring the webapplications to use the SQL 2005 backend.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]The forum is based on phpBB, normaly using a MySQL backend, which I ported to MS SQL 2000. MS SQL 2005 needed special arrangements in PHP which were new to me. One of the aspects that needed extra attention was \"large postings\" (> 4000 characters), an issue in using MS SQL (regardless the version) instead of MySQL.[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]And other minor services…[/*:m:31m3j82x]
[*:31m3j82x]Testing, testing, testing and again: testing.[/*:m:31m3j82x][/list:u:31m3j82x]
And at the end I keep up with an irritating thought in the back of my head: do I not forget something?

But the major services are back online. SPfreaks of course, with all the feautures (collection, forum, chat and email). But also our private intranet, which is in use by my family.

As I’ve upgraded on the fly MS SQL, servicepacks and several other aspects I have a new task ahead. Converting the SPfreaks web application to a higher version of .NET, which is 2.0. Something I pushed forward quite a time, but nothing keeps me away from it, except spare time. One of the benefits of upgrading is a better performance of the application, better features and easier programming.

Last but not least…

To lessen the pain for our SPfreaks users, who showed to miss this service quite a bit, I finalized the delayed release of an improved Collection Index and introduction of MyCollection.

More news about this release will be provided by Arthur.

I hope that this contributes to a more satisfying experience on SPfreaks.com.

And now it’s time to catch up some sleep :D

living in a reality on endless views & unbound fantasies...
Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

thanks so much for putting in all the work :D we are glad to have this place back :D

Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

yeah, we really appriciate it a lot.Thanks a million Redwolf :wink:

In loving memory of Bimbolin.
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

More news about this release will be provided by Arthur.[/quote:2loltm18]
Done. http://forum.spfreaks.com/viewtopic.php?t=841

And yes, zanks a zillion RedWolf. Ya rox ma bro! 8)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of RedWolf
Participant
On RedWolf wrote:

Well thank you – it is my pleasure :D

living in a reality on endless views & unbound fantasies...
Profile photo of bullettwoutbutterflywings
On bullettwoutbutterflywings wrote:

yeah, thanks redwolf. you rock!

"shiny, let's be bad guys"--jayne cobb-the hero of canton
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

wow.

i think we owe you some motherfucking gratitude, my man. what do you want for christmas?

in my time of dying
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

RedWolf you are like Santa Claus ;)
bringing us the site back top notch!!
Please forgive me as I totally missed this post-not too surprising sometimes from me :lol:
anyways get some much needed rest as in about 5-10 years this might to be done again…
let’s hope not!
THANKS A MILLION!!! :D

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In