SPfreaks Forum

 

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: General

Topic: Judged by my Sign Up Date?

This topic contains 29 replies, has 4,686 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of doubtful-della Doubtful-Della 8 years, 9 months ago.

On Doubtful-Della wrote:

This is in response to a on SmashingPumpkins.com. I’m posting my reply here just in case you don’t go back there to see my response to him… because it concerns everyone who entered or is a part of the recent contest

Let’s just say my feelings are really hurt right now. I thought you guys were cool and would be accepting of any Smashing Pumpkins fan….. Here is my reply

\"I’ve been a lurker for many years, I never signed up because I didn’t see the need. I have an addictive personality and stay away from things like chat rooms, forums, and role playing games… because I know I get overly involved and will waste time that I should be spending with my children, friends, and husband.

I finally decided to sign up on SmashingPumpkins.com because I met some awesome pumpkins fans at the show, and they talked about how being a part of the community online. So sometime after the concert I signed up.

When I joined SPfreaks, I didn’t realize the depth of the community… and indeed it is addicting, and I’ve already spent way more time that I should be on it.

I thought I met some really sweet people on there, but after reading some of the comments here I feel betrayed.

I didn’t enter this contest to come in and hurt this little family. I entered this contest because
1) I adore Smashing Pumpkins
2) I love art
3) I love being a part of something bigger than myself

I’m very sorry to all of those who can’t cope with the judges results. I know I’d be upset if I had lost, but I wouldn’t be mad at the judges, or the winner. I’d be excited that I was given a chance to think outside the box and design something that I never would have designed before.

Rejection is part of life. It doesn’t mean that your work is inferior. It just means that it is not what they were looking for at that time.

Just because I haven’t been part of this community for as long as the rest, and am getting judged negatively because of it, is just like those people who say that you aren’t a hardcore Smashing Pumpkins fan if you haven’t been there since Gish. Hello, some of us were babies when Gish came out.

I’m really sorry that people blame an awesome community for hoisting and awesome contest were we got to see awesome work. A beginning artist should be thrilled that their work is getting displayed and that people are seeing it.

I thought I made some good friends here… but I guess I was wrong.\"

I know everybody is entitled to their own opinion in expressing their feelings. But sometimes what you say hurts other people’s feelings, and you should take that into consideration. I have not been malicious in my intentions, and I didn’t just swoop in here to steal your prizes. And I’m not a professional graphic designer. I’m a semi-professional photographer. There is a huge difference in platforms there. I’m really sorry to all those people who feel like I’ve robbed them of their hard work.

It’s so sad that such an amazing experience that should be a happy time has turned into such a negative and sad thing by some people

Profile photo of Pipoka
Member
On Pipoka wrote:

I like to be clear as water.
You can read my comment there and my thoughts are still the same.

Anyway, i’m going to repete myself just to make this clear:

Awesome contest, awesome community in here, awesome prize. (Correct me if i’m wrong but i always thought that one of the goals of this contest was to bring new users to spfreaks.com)
We all knew this would be competitive and i wasn’t expecting to win.
Yours was one of my favorites, so congratulations !

The only thing that really desapointed me was the annoucement.
Sp.com said \"we will announce the winner, billy is going to…\" bla bla bla, and it was Arthur/Spfreaks that had to give us the winner

YES
i know that PPM had so much to do with the new site and all the problems… but they knew from the begining that those things would happen… it’s not necessary to be so smart to realize that. They should at least said something about it…but i’m afraid that is not going to happen.

Anyway we have spfreaks.com back and that’s all that matters, because very soon we’ll be able to see all the entries.

These are my thougts
Was i clear? I hope so

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

It’s so sad that such an amazing experience that should be a happy time has turned into such a negative and sad thing by some people[/quote:33ik2sav]
I stopped reading after a few sentences. I agree with those words, Della, and please don’t pay further attention to it, it’s not worth it. That’s all I’m gonna say about it.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:
It’s so sad that such an amazing experience that should be a happy time has turned into such a negative and sad thing by some people[/quote:1f5801ws]
I stopped reading after a few sentences. I agree with those words, Della, and please don’t pay further attention to it, it’s not worth it. That’s all I’m gonna say about it.[/quote:1f5801ws]

I just really don’t want people to think that i just swooped in and took advantage of their world. My husband is always telling me, "just let it roll off your back."

I really do cherish everyone that I’ve met here

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

test

Profile photo of scotopic_lux
Member
On scotopic_lux wrote:

I’m not sure exactly what the comments you are referring to said (i assume they were on sp.com ?) anyway, the length of time you have been signed up online has nothing to do with the length of time you have been a fan, and should in no way be a reason to judge you.

I have been an SP fan for years, saw them in 1996 but only signed up to Ozphoria when Billy toured in 2005. No one there has judged me for that, and no one there assumes that just because you are new that you have only recently become a fan, or even if you have, that you are any less than they are.

Again, I am sorry to hear people were making comments towards you like this, congratulations on your win. I agree with Pipoka that I was totally let down by the way things were announced – that is not as to who won etc, but that I thought it would be a news point on the front page or something. And I didnt even know that points had been updated on a MySpace page or anything, I was just waiting on SP.com like we were told – but there were a LOT of unexpected factors that came in to play that stuffed things around and I totally understand that SPFreaks.com did what they could with the resources they had.

EDIT>> Ok, so I just read the blog, and that is a pretty full on blog for someone who didnt enter. The only valid point I think he makes is the scoring system. Why so convoluted? Why did the judges here have to vote with all these point systems, when the PMM’s only got asked to submit a top 3 list? And to make all of the voting visible was a bad move I believe. Perhaps they should have taken all the SPFreaks votes and made a shortlist, passed the shortlist on to SP.com to vote again and narrow the list down even more, and then Billy and Paul could have voted on the winner? I realise that saying that would have meant that I probably wouldnt have even made it to the SP.com voting but I just feel that the voting system seemed a little over the top. Feel free to disagree, by no means am I criticising, just giving some feedback.

Also on the comment about professional entries. I don’t know who he thought was professional, but all I can say is that I made my art work in Illustrator, a program that I had NEVER used before. I did sketches, planned images out in photoshop and then re-created it all in Illustrator so that I could make a PDF file (if I won) which meant that the artwork could be resized to any size without quality loss, because I was thinking as if it would be used as a real poster for a gig rather than just a piece of artwork. So although I do have experience with Photoshop, in regards to this entry, I was just as amateur as everyone else!

Anways, Congrats again Della, you were a great and deserving winner!

Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

I agree with Pipoka that I was totally let down by the way things were announced – that is not as to who won etc, but that I thought it would be a news point on the front page or something. And I didnt even know that points had been updated on a MySpace page or anything, I was just waiting on SP.com like we were told – but there were a LOT of unexpected factors that came in to play that stuffed things around and I totally understand that SPFreaks.com did what they could with the resources they had……

Also on the comment about professional entries. I don’t know who he thought was professional, but all I can say is that I made my art work in Illustrator, a program that I had NEVER used before. I did sketches, planned images out in photoshop and then re-created it all in Illustrator so that I could make a PDF file (if I won) which meant that the artwork could be resized to any size without quality loss, because I was thinking as if it would be used as a real poster for a gig rather than just a piece of artwork. So although I do have experience with Photoshop, in regards to this entry, I was just as amateur as everyone else!![/quote:65j0xmup]

I agree that I thought it was going to be a news article too, there was a lot of confusion and craziness with everything going on that weekend. And now even more craziness of tons of us being hacked on SP.com!

The voting system was a bit different I agree, I had to ask for clarification because I didn’t understand it at first. But in the end it was their contest, so they can make up however they wanted to score it. I host contests on DeviantART all the time and I know my scoring system is different than most people on that site.

That is awesome that you used Illustrator for the first time. That program is really difficult. I’ve been self teaching myself it for two years now, and I still suck at it! I would have never guessed it was your first time using the program. And you are right, it’s great for making re-sizable images. That’s why I love it.

Anyway, I know that people didn’t intentionally write that blog/comments to be mean. I just found it to be really off. There’s another blog or comment post somewhere else where a person refers to contests as the devils work…. that one gave me a good laugh

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

I’m sorry you feel the need to justify your participation in this contest Della. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. You created the winning submission, and now you will be compensated as such.

If someone doesn’t like it, so what? Why let the jealous bring you down? Be happy that you won! You got a fantastic prize!

People are allowed to suggest whatever they want and can dislike the way the contest was handled, etc. I have no problem with that. I just wish they would take the complaints to us and leave you alone. Oh well, you can’t make everyone happy.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

I’m sorry you feel the need to justify your participation in this contest Della. You don’t owe anyone an explanation. You created the winning submission, and now you will be compensated as such.

If someone doesn’t like it, so what? Why let the jealous bring you down? Be happy that you won! You got a fantastic prize!

People are allowed to suggest whatever they want and can dislike the way the contest was handled, etc. I have no problem with that. I just wish they would take the complaints to us and leave you alone. Oh well, you can’t make everyone happy.[/quote:3eq8jw8r]

I just feel bad that maybe some people aren’t secure in their artwork. I know how that feels. I’ve been on that end of the stick soooo many times. So many people put their heart and souls into their submission, and even though they didn’t win it shows. You can see the love in all the great entries. And I wished they and the outsiders could see that. See the good and the fun and the joys, instead of just the prize.

The prize is the goal, but the journey is what makes you great ;) There are tons of olympians who didn’t win gold, but we remember them for their amazing efforts. In the art world, some people aren’t recognized until after they die. Even in sports- Heck Billy loves the Cubs and they never seem to win :)

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

The prize is the goal, but the journey is what makes you great[/quote:1x9pxh1u]
Boy, do I love this wisdom. 8)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of ambrose
Member
On Ambrose wrote:

First of all Doubtful-Della, I’d like to say congratulations to you on winning. I thought the competition turned out so well and it was great to see such a diverse range of entries. Each was unique and I’m absolutely dying to see everyone’s full entry. My own one was the orangey-red and black one of the trees. I don’t think I spent as much time on it as I should, especially after seeing the amount of work done by other people. Mine was completed in a few hours and it probably shows! :)

Now, on to the important bit. Never, ever let a negative remark on the internet get to you. Negative people seem to thrive \"behind the wall of caller ID\" (anonymous user names). I have a few vids up on youtube and while the majority of comments are positive, I still get the occasional non constructive negative comment that makes me feel like crap. Needless to say, they’re mostly from completely untraceable, anonymous user accounts.

I’m all for constructive criticism, but some people are just jerks. I’m sure you witness it on deviantART sometimes. Pumpkin’s fans can be particularly strange when it comes to things like this. I’m always shocked by the negativity from some of the fans of such a warm, positive band. I don’t think I’ll ever understand how people can be so hurtful, childish and just plain negative.

Anywho, I guess what I’m saying is don’t let it get you down. As Billy said in an interview once \"For every negative review, there’s a million-plus kids in the world who love our music…\"

Stay cool. :)

Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

As Billy said in an interview once "For every negative review, there’s a million-plus kids in the world who love our music…" [/quote:3stkmypw]

Thanks. I’ve always wondered how difficult it would be to be famous. I’d feel the need to explain everything and defend every thing I did. I know people have their own opinions (look how many fans hated the Oct 31 concert *oh my!*) I’m slowly learning to, as the Beatles sing, "Let it be"

Profile photo of douglas78
Member
On douglas78 wrote:

You know, i think everyone did a good job on the contest. Congrats to Della on the win. I only had one problem with this whole thing. I saw your poster Della, and although it was well put together and images were aligned with good concepts, all of it was former art from the band. I mean, they sit and showboat that piece over @ SP.com giving a sneak peak or whatever. My impression of this contest and going over the rules or guidelines that were set was to be as original as possible utilizing little if any sp art already out there. the rest of your stuff was good and least it was original. If i new i could of won by just slapping the mellon collie girl over a collage of past material, hell i would of done. I’m a graphic designer too. I was looking to be as different as i could be from everyone. Well, all complaining aside, well done. And on a side note, I really believe that Bolly didn’t look at any of em’ and was probably shown who is web team picked after the fact.

thanks for your time

douglas

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

the mellon collie poster isn’t the submission that won.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

If i new i could of won by just slapping the mellon collie girl over a collage of past material, hell i would of done. [/quote:21ataqzj]

That isn’t the poster that won. And the poster that you were referring too was a lot more work than just "slapping the mellon collie girl over a collage of past material." As a graphic designer you should known and appreciate how long it can take to go from concept to final product, going through multiple revisions. That poster was meant to encase 20 years of pumpkins history… and yes it used a little bit of the past iconics, (7 references to be exact) but the concept and execution was completely my own.

What you’ve said is like saying that traditional and digital artists who use stock photos as references aren’t original and creative. But the point is mute, because that isn’t the winning poster. It didn’t even make it to top 10

Profile photo of anonymous
Member
On Anonymous wrote:

real quick…
sure we all spent a lot of time on this, but to be mad or upset still is just wasting time on nothing that can be changed. You win some you lose some. I admit I was pissed, but I am beyond over it. Let’s appreciate the art that everyone created for a band we love! It’s comes down to the judges eye. that’s it.
Sp art is being posted in the other thread and I think it’s great. Everyone has their own style and it’s unique because it was from you! Congrats to Della on winning. We shouldn’t let something like this bring us down to a level none of us really want to be at…I would assume we are all friendly SPfreaks on here and that’s a good thing. It’s ok to be upset, but at some point we have to move forward in our journey of life and not dwell on the past..it is now the past.
Arthur even said something like he was amazed at ALL the submission entries
we all should be proud, some people didn’t enter out of fear of losing or not sure if they should because of their experience already.
we all did good and that’s what matters especially if you learned something positive from this.
:)

Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

some people didn’t enter out of fear of losing [/quote:2t2mpl04]

I feel like quoting Yoda "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering!" Anyway, it stinks for us that we missed out on other people’s feelings and ideas just because they were afraid. I really hope next time an opportunity like this knocks that they will pick up their shoes and run with it

Profile photo of SPfreaks
Moderator
On SPfreaks wrote:

On a sidenote, this was posted at SP.com.

jetter says Wow!
Sunday, November 2, 2008 – 12:29 am

It’s quite an honor to get SP.com’s #1 vote. That really made my day! (My spfreaks.com username is zero_jme.)

Congrats to Doubtful-Della as well as to everyone that entered… there was such a great variety of artwork submitted and it’s been cool to see what everyone came up with to commemorate 20 years of SP.

The SPfreaks Team
Profile photo of Riverandsky
Member
On Riverandsky wrote:

I’m actually pretty happy to have been #3. Kuumar and I did the whole thing in a week and I’m pretty sure we would have won had I started carving earlier (d’oh!) but then again – who the hell knows? I agree with Reggae: Della, great job, but let it go. Who the hell cares what people think? You can wave to those people from your seats at the show!! Sp.freaks will no doubt learn from this mess (fingers crossed) the next time they announce an art contest.

As for the \"some of us were babies when Gish came out\" comment, I’d like to offer the fact that I was 12 but still saved up enough babysitting money to buy the tape….babies can have good taste. Kuumar is only 20, and he’s the most hardcore fan I’ve known and at this date and time has learned 25 covers…..not a small feat if you’ve only learned the guitar two years ago. Time and dates have no consequence when you’re a true fan. So don’t apologize anymore and don’t give excuses. No matter who would have won, the backlash might have been the same.

I’m still pretty happy that no one else thought of carving their entire design@@@ Yo!!! :)

IF NOTHING ELSE, THE ONE THING KUUMAR AND I ARE PISSED ABOUT IS THE FACT THAT WE DON’T KNOW IF BILLY REALLY GOT TO PICK THE WINNER……WTF?!?!? WHOEVER SAID THAT BILLY WAS GOING TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNER, SERIOUSLY, WHAT HAPPENED THERE????

"I didn't find Jesus, he's been here the whole time." - BC
Profile photo of Pipoka
Member
On Pipoka wrote:

We finally have an article….

[url:vx4hmke7]http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/news/spfreakscom-art-contest-winner-announced[/url:vx4hmke7]

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

Wow. Boy, oh boy! Our member Doubtful-Della is all over the homepage of SP.com now. Featured main article, featured image of the contest, and featured member. Boy, will she be proud! :shock:

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

IF NOTHING ELSE, THE ONE THING KUUMAR AND I ARE PISSED ABOUT IS THE FACT THAT WE DON’T KNOW IF BILLY REALLY GOT TO PICK THE WINNER……WTF?!?!? WHOEVER SAID THAT BILLY WAS GOING TO ANNOUNCE THE WINNER, SERIOUSLY, WHAT HAPPENED THERE????[/quote:11rmkl31]

The PMM told us that they would pass along the entries to Billy (or other band members), but not in a judging capacity.

However, the closing date of our contest coincided with the Scream Awards, Jimmel Kimmel show, Guitar Hero Launch party, and the beginning of the November tour dates. All of these appearances were one nighters for the band, and the time just wasn’t there.

Couple that with our server crash, and hopefully, you get the idea.

We tried to make it happen, and a host of events made it not so. Please accept our apology, but we cannot control the PMMs decisions.

I like to think that the band still will see the entries. And maybe post about it somewhere, someday. High hopes? Who cares, I think it would be cool.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Sp.freaks will no doubt learn from this mess (fingers crossed) the next time they announce an art contest.
[/quote:1wj18an3]

What should they have learned? Please be specific.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

I like to think that the band still will see the entries.[/quote:3nf587zl]
They will or already did, I’m sure. Only they had no time anymore to judge things properly, for reasons explained by manillascissor…

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

Wow. Boy, oh boy! Our member Doubtful-Della is all over the homepage of SP.com now. Featured main article, featured image of the contest, and featured member. Boy, will she be proud! :shock:[/quote:si4wbg0d]

I know! I think all my friends are sick of hearing about it already. I’ve taken so many screen shots and e-mailed them out. Did you see the e-mail update that SP.com sent out? I was even in their screen cap!

K-mar & Rvrsky: If the band really does check their website every few days, I’m sure they know about it and are interested. It just might take a little time before they could actually sit down and look. I’m so proud of you guys for tacking a different art form than everyone else. Completely unique and unexpected. Rock on you two. I loved all the little hidden things in it too

I do have a suggestion… I know it took a long time to code this forum with all the entries, (I heard it took over 4 hours) but it takes forever to load and I even have the fastest cable that my town offers. Maybe a little extra time to code it so that there are smaller images that link to a full size. I don’t know how to do that with brackets, but it’s an easy code with the carot html coding.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

I do have a suggestion… I know it took a long time to code this forum with all the entries, (I heard it took over 4 hours) but it takes forever to load and I even have the fastest cable that my town offers. Maybe a little extra time to code it so that there are smaller images that link to a full size. I don’t know how to do that with brackets, but it’s an easy code with the carot html coding.[/quote:om6uwqh4]

That is a great suggestion:

However, I think we wanted to be the end all source of the largest (up to 800 pixels wide) submission for entries, right here on the site that hosted the contest.

Yes, it takes longer to load, but it’s our contest, the entries deserve the proper perspective.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

Completely understandable. I just feel bad if anybody has dial up or a slow connection

Profile photo of Tion
Member
On Tion wrote:

w.t.f?

its absolutelly understandable that doubtfulldella has won.
as i said before, my favorite was the second entry, but
doubtfulldellas entry surely is a burner.

i choosed my top 5 when they were post here the first time,
and they all did the top 5 after spfreaks/smashingpumpkins.com
judging.

:wink:

one of the greatest things you can learn when you do a contest is
to kick your ego out of your creative soul.

everything is perfect in disco- town.
Profile photo of Tion
Member
On Tion wrote:

i signed up here around the time when doupfulldella did.
im a pumpkin fan for years, since i was 10. yes, 10.
but like douptfulldella, i normaly dont do forums
and internet.
for several reasons.

i would call my self a professional designer,
im studiing design and i have all the
programms you need for artwork.

but my entry did number 9, or 8 (who cares?).
so it was not the time or profession that counted, it
was the idea. right?

all i can tell to us \"losers\" is, that we did a great job, and ouer time will come.

BELIEVE.
KEEP DOING.

everything is perfect in disco- town.
Profile photo of doubtful-della
Member
On Doubtful-Della wrote:

BELIEVE.
KEEP DOING.[/quote:2b2ch5bs]

Words to live by!
Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×
 
 
×
 
  • Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In

×