SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: List time: owners of US Machina II Virgin in-house promo cds

This topic contains 81 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream Cool As Ice Cream 1 week, 3 days ago.

On Arthur wrote:

I’d like to get a bit of an idea how many of these sets are around. All I’ve heard before is less than 10. Now I wonder how many people on here own one or more of these cds.
Note that I’m talking about the US cd sets, not the UK ones.

Please post here if you do, and let us know if you own the full set, or if not, what cds you own. Thank you for your cooperation.

For your information, here are the four cds of the set.

CR-01 (slow dawn, vanity, saturnine, glass’ theme)
[/url:ke8rgero”>

CR-02 (soul power, cash car star, lucky 13, speed kills)

CR-03 (if there is a god, try try try, heavy metal machine)

CR-04 (glass’ theme, cash car star, dross, real love, go, let me give the world to you, innocence, home, blue skies bring tears, white spyder, in my body, if there is a god, le deux machina, here’s to the atom bomb)

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

I own CR-01, and that’s it.

Profile photo of EAZYE121
Participant
On EAZYE121 wrote:

I own:
CR-01
CR-03

Profile photo of mirrorboxer
On mirrorboxer wrote:

First off I don’t own any of these cd’s. I am curious what the sound difference is like from these compared to the vinyl rips that everyone else (including myself) has.

First off I don’t own any of these cd’s. I am curious what the sound difference is like from these compared to the vinyl rips that everyone else (including myself) has.[/quote:1e4xk14s]
this is how they sound like: http://www.archive.org/details/machina.II.ver.Virgin
you probably already have this version.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Then, let me be the first one to report I have all 4 of them, the full set, so to say. 8)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of mirrorboxer
On mirrorboxer wrote:

you probably already have this version.[/quote:1e4hhnp8]

Yes I do. I didn’t know if these were any different. Thanks for the info.

Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

I own CR-01 CR-02 CR-03

In loving memory of Bimbolin.
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Full set reporting for duty.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Already 5 CR-01 counted here… cool! But only 2 CR-04? uncool! Funny that these sets became separated in the end…? Or was CR-04 pressed in an even more limited quantity? :?

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."

billy corgan owns a copy of CR-04.

i can’t find the picture right now, but i believe he posted it on myspace, and it was of a cat in a shoebox, and next to it, there was a copy of CR-04.

Already 5 CR-01 counted here… cool! But only 2 CR-04? uncool! Funny that these sets became separated in the end…? Or was CR-04 pressed in an even more limited quantity? :?[/quote:2a2rjzn5]
Right now, I’m leaning more towards the theory that a certain amount of cd sets were made and then got split up. (Or, that there are an equal amount of copies of each cd.)

I also wonder how/why the sets were split up.

billy corgan owns a copy of CR-04.

i can’t find the picture right now, but i believe he posted it on myspace, and it was of a cat in a shoebox, and next to it, there was a copy of CR-04.[/quote:3r6yoslk]
i found the myspace picture!
the cat doesn’t seem to be in a shoebox, but at least it’s a box of some kind.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Right now, I’m leaning more towards the theory that a certain amount of cd sets were made and then got split up. (Or, that there are an equal amount of copies of each cd.)

I also wonder how/why the sets were split up.[/quote:3dv17o8d]
Agree, same thoughts here. Shawn (the one and only), who sold me his set several years ago, at that moment thought (or knew for sure maybe?) that there were only 7 sets. If memory serves me well, this is what he told me. Shawn?

On a derailing sidenote, I wished Billy Corgan became a member here on SPfreaks.com, to set up his personal "My Collection". Then he would notice what we miss in our online archives, so he would immediately start sending in the scans/pics of the missing items… Keep on dreaming! :lol:

i remember shawn selling his set. i couldn’t buy it at that time. a year or so later, i asked if he still had the set, and also offered him a nice amount of money for it. he said it was a good offer, but that he already sold the set to someone else in the mean time, for less. THAT WAS YOU, ARTHUR! NEVA 4GET! i was too late. i don’t think i’ll ever own the complete set now.

Profile photo of pumpkinfan
On pumpkinfan wrote:

I am curious as to how everyone posting here obtained those CDs. I’m sure there are some great stories. Anyone care to share?

I got my copy of CR-01 on eBay. If I remember it correctly, I asked the seller if he owned any other cds from the set, but he didn’t.

Arthur bought his set from Shawn (collectspumpkins).

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Arthur bought his set from Shawn (collectspumpkins).[/quote:3mpjmjnw]
Correct, and I paid him what he asked for at that moment (300 bucks, 75 per cd, if I’m right). I don’t remember any bargaining beforehand. It was no big story. He was selling, I was buying. I paid, he send, I received. It came with a few more rare cds by the way, for example Ava Adore (Live at Letterman) Virgin inhouse promo.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Yeah I paid double what Arthur did for mine. eBay. Not a real interesting story, but the set was intact, that’s the main reason it went for so much.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

There’s also a silver discs Boot version. I myself didn’t see many of those around, I’m guessing they’d not have sold too well; or produced many copies (?):

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

There’s also a silver discs Boot version. I myself didn’t see many of those around, I’m guessing they’d not have sold too well; or produced many copies (?):

[/quote:gvat8i2d]

that’s a funny thing…

the 2CD set was made by the guys from the Dutch TSP fanclub / newsletter NSPN…
Jeroen, Vincent, Anne and me were involved.
You can see our initials at the back :)
Jeroen did the editting and the artwork.
We used the Q101 version to produce this for the people of the fanclub / newsletter and put it up for download for free of course only.
Some bootlegger got a hold of the artwork and decided to make this into a bootleg release to be sold.
Nothing even changed in the artwork only that we had made a black one for the album and a white one for the three EPs, hence the CR numbers on the back liner; the album one only had one CR code of course :)

Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

:) 8) A great story for sure, Sven.

it is a great story. but it’s also sad that someone bootlegged your fanclub version.

So, so far, this is the list:
[code:1gv6e8d1]arthur: CR01 CR02 CR03 CR04
manilla: CR01 CR02 CR03 CR04
amnesia: CR01 CR02 CR03
eazye: CR01 CR03
cool: CR01
billy c: ? ? ? CR04*[/code:1gv6e8d1]

*: I assume the copy on MySpace was Billy’s copy. If I remember it correctly, it was just a picture, without a comment whatsoever, so there’s still a small possibility that this is the picture of someone else’s cd.

Any other cd owners reading this? If so, please come forward.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

i have a small bit to add as to why i think the sets got split up:

CR-04 is the CD with the most tracks, so it would make sense (if you were a casual fan, like some of the people who worked for Virgin at the time) to let go the EPs – maybe make some money, but keep CR-04 for yourself if you actually enjoyed the music. kinda like fishing…keep the big fish and throw back the little ones. does that makes sense?

in my time of dying

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In