SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: MCIS colour vinyl.Real or fake?

This topic contains 131 replies, has 30,539 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jawn till dusk jawn till dusk 3 years, 1 month ago.

On jawn till dusk wrote:

Never seen this before,and now i see two in one day.

Me thinks its a fake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMASHING-PUMPKINS-M … dZViewItem

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

yeah, we’re fairly certain that these are fake.
note that there’s also a black vinyl version of this fake mcis 3lp.

http://forum.spfreaks.com/viewtopic.php?t=249
http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?t=155411

Profile photo of tiny
Participant
On tiny wrote:

I have never seen any evidence to suggest it is a legitimate pressing, the people buying these must know somethig I do not as they are paying an awful lot for something that may only be a fake!
:(

I think the people who buy this know a lot less than you.

The MCIS 3LP usually goes for a lot of money on eBay. The buyers of the fakes probably don’t realize they are fakes, and are paying similar prices as for the real copies.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Never seen this before,and now i see two in one day.

Me thinks its a fake.[/quote:9jskchhg]
Me too jawn till dusk, though I’m no vinyl expert. But I asked a few dealers, and it is not in their official systems to be ordered. People that pay tons of money for this are crazy, it’s a bootie! A good one though, they spend quite some attention to it. Check Cool As Ice Creams links and you’ll find out.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."

If you see how much money these go for, the whole argument of \"why would they put so much effort in a fake\" loses its strength. Right?

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Right.

One question:

How do you determine the original unnumbered pressing from the new fake unnumbered pressing? LOL. Impossible?

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Right.

One question:

How do you determine the original unnumbered pressing from the new fake unnumbered pressing? LOL. Impossible?[/quote:3bqbyvnk]
I guess not? Is there an original unnumbered pressing anyway? I mean there is this empty white box version, but that is a clear difference then, right? Also the matrixnumbers are different, I think Cool As Ice Cream described those things here on the forum already.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."

How do you determine the original unnumbered pressing from the new fake unnumbered pressing? LOL. Impossible?[/quote:mh3muklx]
the real copies have that white box in the lower right corner, with or without number
the fake copies don’t have a white box

that’s the easiest way.

if you can’t see if there’s a white box or not in the pictures on ebay, don’t trust it. there are more fakes for sale right now than real ones.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

if you can’t see if there’s a white box or not in the pictures on ebay, don’t trust it. there are more fakes for sale right now than real ones.[/quote:mt6rpzw5]
I got that guts feeling also. Some people are getting quite rich at these moments, releasing that fake Mellon Collie vinyl. Disgusting, if you ask me. I feel sorry for the fans buying that boot and thinking they are getting the real stuff. Which they don’t.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Arthur, why don’t you make a front page expose about this. For casual fans that visit the site, but might not visit the forum. Then we’d be promoting good business w/i the Smashing Pumpkins community, and also screwing over the people who are making/selling these fakes.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Arthur, why don’t you make a front page expose about this. For casual fans that visit the site, but might not visit the forum. Then we’d be promoting good business w/i the Smashing Pumpkins community, and also screwing over the people who are making/selling these fakes.[/quote:2ygzfquf]
Excellent idea. Working on that as we speak, give me a few minutes. First we need an entry on SPfreaks in the Vinyl booties section, then I’ll create a frontpage news item. Again, excellent idea, manillascissor. Fuck those screwers!

I collected images from eBay of the yellow MCIS 3LP. I’ll mail them to you, Arthur.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

I collected images from eBay of the yellow MCIS 3LP. I’ll mail them to you, Arthur.[/quote:11i8s28w]
Found them, they are used in the news article (see frontpage SPfreaks) and in the upload of the item.

http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=2117

Thanks Cool As Ice Cream! 8)

maybe you should add pictures of the two official releases, numbered and unnumbered, to make it clear how they look like.

i don’t think most casual fans will immediately know what you mean with \"unboxed\". so without a clearer explanation or pictures that show where the difference is betweent the fakes and the official releases, this news item kinda misses its point (warning the casual fans who might be interested in a mellon collie vinyl).

I made a picture:

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Cool pic, but the news item is already taking a lot of space… The pic is here also for the readers, and the story is very clear now, well, at least that is what I think. I made quite some changes. What do you guys think now?

yeah, i think it’s clear now.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

that looks great! nice work you two. :D

another idea may be to alert sp.com, they could make some sort of post about it as well. i’d leave that to you arthur, as you’ve been contacting someone over there recently. maybe they’ll just link over to our site. that would kick butt.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

that looks great! nice work you two. :D

another idea may be to alert sp.com, they could make some sort of post about it as well. i’d leave that to you arthur, as you’ve been contacting someone over there recently. maybe they’ll just link over to our site. that would kick butt.[/quote:10cdhj08]
Your wish is my command manillascissor. I uploaded it on their User News section already this afternoon, but it takes a few hours, up to a day sometimes, before it shows. If it shows…

Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

Dammit, should have thought of this sooner.
Put a little extra at the end of the MCIS BL warning stating (something along the lines of) \"If you have any queries or uncertainties about other items that you suspect are bootlegs, please contact us blah blah blah\"
Seeing as you guys are the resident experts on SP items, you would be the most able to clear things up, methinks.
But then again… most information is available in the collection, so they could (should) go there first before contacting…
I don’t know. Do what you want with this idea.

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Dammit, should have thought of this sooner.
Put a little extra at the end of the MCIS BL warning stating (something along the lines of) "If you have any queries or uncertainties about other items that you suspect are bootlegs, please contact us blah blah blah"
Seeing as you guys are the resident experts on SP items, you would be the most able to clear things up, methinks.
But then again… most information is available in the collection, so they could (should) go there first before contacting…
I don’t know. Do what you want with this idea.[/quote:3nz7hmjn]

Excellent idea Super. Ultimately up to Mr. Arthur though. *cough, hint, cough*

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Yup, good idea Superlordspamulon. I’ll change the text a little later today.

Meanwhile the news is on sp.com, and it created a big buzz in a few hours already. People report this bootie even in South America! And the News section on SPfreaks is getting tons of hits, unbelievable!

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/membernews_3351

By the way, I’m very curious about the official point of view of the Smashing Pumpkins or their staff…

well done, arthur.

Profile photo of fez
On Fez wrote:

Cool as ice cream, you have all versions including fake one ? I am confused about the photo :P

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In