SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: General

Topic: Messages to SPRC \"The Lucky 13\" Team

This topic contains 54 replies, has 4,490 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arthur Arthur 5 years ago.

On Arthur wrote:

Well, so we found this news on Crestfallen:

http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/04/13/t … -lucky-13/

And since we know their team will follow us closely here, we thought we should try to gather all your recommendations for future Smashing Pumpkins releases here. Shoot, fellow freaks, shoot! :lol:

The SPfreaks Team
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

well for me, i’m up for any unreleased studio songs that have never seen the light of day. completely new songs, done by the full band, in the studio. not interested in another version of drown, for example, or alternate takes of existing songs. that’s just my preference.

and any live footage of the band from any era that sounds decent. new, new, new.

i’m not good with song names that haven’t been released, but a full version of the streets are hot tonite i would absolutely kill for.

also curious who wrote up the news release on crestfallen.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

I know 3 dates for live gigs that are definately worthwhile a release.

24-08-1993 Melody Stockholm Sweden
08-01-1997 GM Place Vancouver Canada
24-01-2000 Vredenburg Utrecht The Netherlands

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Oh, and a studio version, all alternate takes included if possible, of Gossamer. On cd. :D

I would definately buy that.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Lots of info about this initiative here:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board_n … opic=19403

Gossamer seems like a no go, since they focus on < 2000. Bleh. It’s a pity.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

Lots of info about this initiative here:

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board_n … opic=19403

Gossamer seems like a no go, since they focus on < 2000. Bleh. It’s a pity.[/quote:2j5htpt4]

that thread is really disturbing. i hope no one from lucky13 reads that.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of marigold
Participant
On marigold wrote:

^^ but they will

I’m guessing the MCIS demos will be with the reissue…and Adore demos the same

if not I’d like them released! As well as the Gravity Demos

and the ‘final’ Metro show will be released

The songs that are in snippet form in Pastichio Medley – would love to hear the full versions

hmm that’s all I think, I’m sure we’ll have a lot of goodies to look forward to anyway :)

Profile photo of Collectspumpkins
On Collectspumpkins wrote:

Well, so we found this news on Crestfallen:

http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/04/13/t … -lucky-13/

And since we know their team will follow us closely here, we thought we should try to gather all your recommendations for future Smashing Pumpkins releases here. Shoot, fellow freaks, shoot! :lol:[/quote:3lvfb2eq]

#1–who are the selected 13?

#2–what do they expect us to help them with? Helping them decide to setup a model like the Third Man Recrods Valut or Pearl Jam Fan Club?

#3–How will releases be distributed?

#4–If I had my way:

* Adore LP in Stereo (which Billy confirmed would happen at the Philly show)
* Aeroplane Flies High 5×10" Box Set, individually numbered, with no more than 5,000 copies being made
* Full Deluxe 4LP Vinyl Box set of Machina I and II sequenced/ordered correctly.
* Smashing Pumpkins Adore Tour Fox Theater Atlanta show fully released (since I was there and it was filmed in its entirity by Virgin) on DVD/Blu-Ray with CD of show
* Smashing Pumpkins Adore Tour Grand Ole Opry Show (since it was all acoustic)
* The Smashing Pumpkins 2000 Summersault Tour Soundboard Live concert released (Recorded by Westwood One)
* Any Arising shows, or a deluxe "live" boxset of the Arising shows, similar to how Pearl Jam does their bootleg live box set releases

That’d be a good start.

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

so who is a member of this team? anyone from spfreaks.com?

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

i’m not part of the lucky13 in case anyone was wondering. but nobody was wondering, right? :lol:

in my time of dying

anyone else?

either way, i think it’s a bad idea to turn to the community (again) to set up the sprc. it doesn’t work.
it might be interesting to let people vote what show they want to see a release of every now and then, but i don’t think you need to hear everyone in order to select what you want to release, or – even worse – to decide how you’re going to sell them.
just get this thing going, and then maybe later add a poll to your website. (e.g. \"we have ten similar siamese dream shows. we want to release one on cd next. which one should we release?\") there’s no need for any of that now.
i understand that there is some sort of premise that every release should be able to make enough money so that there is no loss. but do you really need to discuss this with \"the community\"? just use some common sense, and have some confidence in the stuff you’re releasing. try a couple of different ways to release stuff. see how things go.
this whole thing is just another attempt to acquire a kind of certainty about the success of these sprc releases. by \"listening to the community\", they want to make sure that everyone will be behind these releases, aka everyone will buy them for sure. which is first of all a bit of a pussy move. on top of that, it’s a bad move, for multiple reasons, and it might as well blow up again, just like it did last time.
just release stuff in a sensible way, and with every decent release, you’ll gain support.
also, if you’re so afraid that a release won’t make enough money to cover the costs, then go ahead and do one of them fucking kickstarter things. whatever. i’m already rolling my eyes though.

Participant
On marigold wrote:

Not me either. But then I barely do admin stuff here anyway…

I think the kickstarter model is a great idea, and they can give people options as to how much they want to purchase, eg. from just a CD of demos, to a whole collection of CD/DVD/vinyl/poster/usb sticks etc

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

On the o-board Marie from ByStarlight.org and Monte from Crestfallen.com are mentioned as team members.

I think this concept might work for once and for all, that is, if Billy does not unplug it before it starts to work. Again, I notice so much negative ego from some people, that they should be in, or should not be in, or should have been in beforehand, etc. Bleh. I can feel Billy Corgan his frustration handling those type of people. Maybe that’s why he wanted to have some mediators, the fans that are in the Lucky 13 team, to handle that? No idea. There is a 1 hour interview coming up about this, let’s see what that brings.

For the moment I’m happy that the vault of SP gets some more attention again. It shows that Billy wants to provide the fans with music, and that is what counts for me.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

i think it is important to distinguish that this lucky13 team is only in charge of the sprc. and so far, the sprc has only released digital downloads (that i can recall, anyway). so to ask for things that are probably going to appear with upcoming reissue releases seems quite misguided.

i think we should stick to small, individual tracks or whatever. individual concerts. if we keep the requests small (at least at the beginning), i think it has a better chance to gain traction.

if we ask for full releases, or demos in their entirety, i think we are defeating the purpose and putting too much pressure and expectations on the lucky13 group.

that is just my opinion.

in my time of dying

if there are 13 people in this lucky 13 group, that should be enough to come to a decent consensus about what the first couple of releases could be, and how to sell them. how wrong can it go?

don’t attempt to go through the archives in a chronological order. there is no point. there are only disadvantages.

24-01-2000 Vredenburg Utrecht The Netherlands[/quote:2yncxi5l]

i hope they release plenty of other live recordings before they ever release these.

Participant
On marigold wrote:

http://www.crestfallen.com/2012/04/17/c … ly-corgan/

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

thanks for the link debby.

i think that was a very well executed interview (monte), so thank you for sharing.

it was honestly a little overwhelming to listen to all the details involved with the reissues and also quite astonishing to hear how much money is exchanging hands all over two guitars, a bass, and a drum set.

i guess i have to take back what i said about lucky13 not being associated with the reissues and it sounds like you have a LOT of work to do by the end of 2012. which is great, because the world is going to end anyway, so at least we’ll have TAFH reissue boxset by then to carry us into hell.

good luck, lucky13

in my time of dying
Profile photo of TheLucky13
On TheLucky13 wrote:

don’t attempt to go through the archives in a chronological order. there is no point. there are only disadvantages.[/quote:1mw8onpj]
Can you be more specific about this, please?

On TheLucky13 wrote:

For the moment I’m happy that the vault of SP gets some more attention again. It shows that Billy wants to provide the fans with music, and that is what counts for me.[/quote:3ct449wy]
That is exactly what is going on.

On TheLucky13 wrote:

good luck, lucky13[/quote:3qnsx3pu]
Thank you. And thank you to everybody here providing input for this project. We all hope to make this a success. Keep on discussing here and elsewhere, please, we need your opinions, as Billy explained in the interview.

On TheLucky13 wrote:

24-01-2000 Vredenburg Utrecht The Netherlands[/quote:3uczg481]

i hope they release plenty of other live recordings before they ever release these.[/quote:3uczg481]
Dates, please? What do you suggest, and in what order?

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

i was thinking about a semi-new band (crosses) that are fronted by deftones lead vocalist, chino moreno. this band has actually been around the exact same amount of time as the pumpkins. the very, VERY interesting thing that they did with the release of their music is basically do it on their own (through topspin as well) and literally used no promotion. they just relied on word of mouth.

now, word of mouth hasn’t gotten them very far, but that is okay, because the music is so good, that’s all they need, which is what i’m hearing from WPC as well. they (i believe) had 3 EPs worth of music, 5 tracks on each one, and the first EP was free, and the second was a cheap download. can’t remember the price, but maybe $7 or something, which i was glad to fork over the DAY it came out, through topspin.

i have no hangups with topspin. i received my boxset versions of the reissues from them late, but maybe by a week or two. hell, i didn’t really care, i was just happy when they arrived and that is that.

crosses also created a very cool limited edition (500 copies) of the first EP and sold it via topspin. that record has long since sold out and goes for over $100 on eBay currently. i have no idea what they charged initially, i missed that, but i guess my point is that even with absolutely zero promotion, people who liked the music, and were fans of the deftones, and had heard of this new side project band, were given a tiny taste for free and the money started rolling right in.

it was nice to be a part of something again in 2011 that not everyone knew about. it had an underground feeling to it, a discovery of a band, something personal, and whatever they did generated enough interest for a tour. i think BC has the right idea here. they don’t need a big push from anyone, the interest is already there, as long as the music is good. that’s always going to be a judgement call on the \"engaged consumer\".

i’m drawing these comparisons because i see the situation as almost identical and while the brand crosses is new, if you know who is involved, it’s not new at all. it’s just a push in a different direction, wholeheartedly supported by the initial fanbase. not much else is required.

in my time of dying
don’t attempt to go through the archives in a chronological order. there is no point. there are only disadvantages.[/quote:2q7pi27b]
Can you be more specific about this, please?[/quote:2q7pi27b]
well, if you decide to go through the archives in a chronological order, it will take a while before you get to adore or machina. this might bore away the people who are also interested in this project, but don’t really care about gish or earlier, for example.

you can’t release everything, so how are you going to decide it’s time to move from gish to siamese dream, for example? when have you released enough? and would that mean that once you reach zeitgeist (or wherever this ends) that the archive project is over?

there is no point in going through it chronologically, besides maybe some weird ocd some might feel the need to satisfy. and that’s a weak argument. actually, it’s completely irrational, so it probably doesn’t count as an argument.

just go through the material "randomly". with this i mean, not necessarily really randomly, like throwing dice, but make sure all eras get attention regularly. don’t ignore any era for too long. for example, don’t do two years of releasing mcis live recordings. release live recordings from every era throughout the year, and then the next year, you can add more, if there’s still interest in more.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

pretty much agree with everything he just said. very good observations/points.

in my time of dying

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In