SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: General

Topic: Netphoria changes ad policy

This topic contains 6 replies, has 726 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anonymous Anonymous 8 years, 7 months ago.

On confuciousconfusing wrote:

No More Pop-Up / Full Page / Malicious Ads, All are Gone now

As many of you have been aware for the past couple of years Netphoria has operated with a number of annoying and frustrating pop-up and full-page ads. Additionally, some of these ads were, unfortunately, malicious in nature. Despite what many of you may think, I never was comfortable with these types of intrusive ads on the site, but the revenue from them was needed to help cover the cost of running the site. As of last week, however, I have made the decision to remove all the pop-up and full page ads. As a result, any malicious code that came with these ads have been eliminated as well.

The reason for the change? I’ve tried to weed out the malicious ads for a while but the ad system made this difficult. User feedback has been important in this decision – although traffic and ad impressions have remained relatively constant for the past few months, the advertising revenue gained isn’t worth it to keep these ads up further burdening and frustrating all of you.

While for the time being Netphoria will be running at a loss, I will look into other, non-intrusive ad providers in the future. Please be aware that this announcement does not mean Netphoria is completely Ad-Free now, we still employ more traditional banner type ads on the site however they won’t harm your computer. You can however browse Netphoria completely Ad-Free by either Donating to Netphoria (Only $7.50 for 6 months) or by using an internet browser equipped with an ad-blocker program of your choice. Many users have found Firefox and Ad-Block Plus to be more-than-adequate programs to use.

If the amount and type of ads on Netphoria has been keeping you away, I do apologize, I am asking and encouraging you to return to the site. It was never my intention to turn you away and I hope this significant change reflects my continued commitment to running a successful, user(& fan)-friendly community website.

– Andrew Pakula

Netphoria Message Board
Still the Largest and Longest Running
Smashing Pumpkins Message Board / Forums on the Net

No Censorship / Free Speech
Open and frank dialogue is encouraged with only minimal moderation

Strong Community
Netphoria is not just another Smashing Pumpkins message board.

http://forums.netphoria.org[/quote:1vzbrufl]

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of bullettwoutbutterflywings
On bullettwoutbutterflywings wrote:

well, wasn’t that the charm of the site? maybe giving your computer an std?

"shiny, let's be bad guys"--jayne cobb-the hero of canton
Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

yeah, they lost some of their evil edge with this.

Profile photo of bullettwoutbutterflywings
On bullettwoutbutterflywings wrote:

maybe it is an april fools?

"shiny, let's be bad guys"--jayne cobb-the hero of canton
Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

it probably is ^^

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Netphoria Message Board

Open and frank dialogue is encouraged with only minimal moderation[/quote:1d3b06f4]
At least this part is a big joke anyway. Largest? No way. Not even close. Minimal moderation? My @ss. People can flame each other to death if they want, but if you link back to your own website, your post will be deleted within the same hour. WTF kind of moderation is that? :roll:

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:
Netphoria Message Board

Open and frank dialogue is encouraged with only minimal moderation[/quote:139wknu8]
At least this part is a big joke anyway. Largest? No way. Not even close. Minimal moderation? My @ss. People can flame each other to death if they want, but if you link back to your own website, your post will be deleted within the same hour. WTF kind of moderation is that? :roll:[/quote:139wknu8]

a netphorian moderating :P

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In