SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: Official Smashing Pumpkins Oceania Promo Items Thread

This topic contains 69 replies, has 5,226 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of manillascissor manillascissor 4 years, 6 months ago.

On manillascissor wrote:

Ok, I know I am a little early. But I thought it’d be helpful if we can start organizing all of the potential Oceania promos that will be hitting the market all over the world. So as you see them, please post them here, and yes that may include you having to pony up and provide the link to the Ebay auction you are bidding on (suck it up).

Hopefully this way, we’ll be able to see what the promos are and what the market will be for a new Smashing Pumpkins album.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

well, i know this may never see the light of day, but billz tweeted about listening to the oceania vinyl test press recently.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Very good initiative, here is my contribution already. Results of a Google picture search on Oceania promo cd. :P

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Another Oceania I came across.

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of marigold
Participant
On marigold wrote:

:lol: I know that one…

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

I’m not surprised lol. Your mom played in that band, maybe, as a side project to her Lord of the Rings acting career? :wink:

Profile photo of jawn till dusk
Participant
On jawn till dusk wrote:

That looks like Mel C! :lol:

Participant
On marigold wrote:

I’m not surprised lol. Your mom played in that band, maybe, as a side project to her Lord of the Rings acting career? :wink:[/quote:150kpsoz]

haha no…my Dad’s the musical one, but you have to go to the Country Music Hall of Fame in NZ to see my Dad’s name there. 8)

Profile photo of tiny
Participant
On tiny wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Smashing-Pu … 2ebf6fc363

Let the bidding war begin – lol hopefully there is a few copies of this so everyone can have one.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Good find! I wonder, is this the album promo, or are they testing the waters for releasing it as a single? I hope it will be a single, because then we might get b-side(s)…

Participant
On marigold wrote:

Good find! I wonder, is this the album promo, or are they testing the waters for releasing it as a single? I hope it will be a single, because then we might get b-side(s)…[/quote:q7as3oac]

*hopes* :)

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

do you think that’s possible? testing the waters, and then maybe later deciding to release a proper single with b-sides? can that work?
surely these things need to have been decided a long time ago. unless you’re ok with the first oceania single (proper single with b-sides, not a radio promo) around christmas.

Profile photo of tiny
Participant
On tiny wrote:

Good find! I wonder, is this the album promo, or are they testing the waters for releasing it as a single? I hope it will be a single, because then we might get b-side(s)…

I think it is purely a radio promo single to promote the new album; a little like the lightening strikes, freak radio promo’s etc. I am sure full album promos (CDRs) will surface in time as well as further radio promo singles. I doubt commercial singles will be released given the direction of the music industry currently.

Just my thoughts :)

I am sure full album promos (CDRs) will surface in time[/quote:2affu6md]
i thought they weren’t sending out any promos for this album.
and it would be a bit ridiculous to make full album promo cd-rs after the album has been released, no?

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:
I am sure full album promos (CDRs) will surface in time[/quote:2aujro06]
i thought they weren’t sending out any promos for this album.
and it would be a bit ridiculous to make full album promo cd-rs after the album has been released, no?[/quote:2aujro06]
Last week it was whispered in my ear that the band was sending out promos anyway, but it was not said what kind of promos. So no details about song(s) and artwork. My only 2 guesses to my source were: they will appear on eBay in a few days & they will not contain unreleased or non-Oceania songs. So far my guesses are right… But yeah, I was a little surprised too. My third guess is that we will see a Japanese full album promo, and maybe the Japanese album will even have an extra song, as usual?

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

do you think that’s possible? testing the waters, and then maybe later deciding to release a proper single with b-sides? can that work?[/quote:5k6cpexz]
Well, that is how it used to work untill recently, anyway. We have even seen single promos that were never upgraded to commercial releases (Muzzle, Daphne Descends) but the first 1 song promo from any Smashing Pumpkins album always ended up being released as a single. Including b-sides. Today, Everlasting Gaze, Tarantula, to name a few. But that was in the old days…

there is no bonus track on the japanese release.

not every sp album had bonus tracks. only siamese dream, adore, machina and zeitgeist had bonus tracks. gish, pisces, mcis, and now also oceania: not.

also think about this: if they had a bonus track on a japanese album release, it was always a b-side of the first single. (it never was a track that was new/not available elsewhere.)
as there isn’t even a single with b-sides for oceania, it kind of makes sense that there isn’t a bonus track on the japanese release.

Well, that is how it used to work untill recently, anyway. We have even seen single promos that were never upgraded to commercial releases (Muzzle, Daphne Descends) but the first 1 song promo from any Smashing Pumpkins album always ended up being released as a single. Including b-sides. Today, Everlasting Gaze, Tarantula, to name a few. But that was in the old days…[/quote:lsjgpns0]
wasn’t the first promo for zeitgeist "doomsday clock"?
and the everlasting gaze was never a commercial single with b-sides. the everlasting gaze was the first promo – just like doomsday clock, if i’m not mistaken about that one – but the first single was stand inside your love.

i also think that all commercial singles were released a week or two before the album came out (definitely true for ava adore and stand inside your love). and otherwise they were at least announced at the time of album release and released not much later.
which is why i think it’s unlikely that there will be a single with b-sides for oceania. clearly they’ve chosen not to release any singles. it makes little sense to release the first single months after the album came out.

i just don’t see why this promo would mean anything regarding a commercial single with b-sides. to me it’s unrelated. they’ve been sending out radio promos all the time. and that was never to test the water regarding a commercial single release.

also think about this: if they had a bonus track on a japanese album release, it was always a b-side of the first single. (it never was a track that was new/not available elsewhere.)
[/quote:3p6ilqqq]
the only japanese release with bonus tracks that i can think of that was somewhat interesting was the today ep.
not only did it have a b-side of cherub rock (nothing too special), it also contained the b-side from the today 7" (interesting to find this on cd!).
http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … LS&item=49

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Bram, I stand fully corrected on some points (Everlasting Gaze for example was not a commercial single anyway, so it can be considered as the album promo for Machina, not all Japanese albums of Smashing Pumpkins contained bonus songs) but this one: \"and that was never to test the water regarding a commercial single release.\" needs some clarification from my side.

As far as I know the music industry, it works(/worked) like this. This is (part of) an email I just send out to inform somebody about the latest Smashing Pumpkins promos, and it hits the subject we are discussing here.

\"Freak and Fellowship were part of a 1 by 1 song release of the Teargarden concept, which is basically a non-album concept. Then 1 song promos (with never an upgrade to a single) make sense, to send them to radio djs and the likes to get some attention and airplay for the name/songs of Smashing Pumpkins and gain commercial interest for the physical EPs that were released so far. There was probably never any intention to release (physical) singles, since the EPs would come out anyway.

But when a full album is released, the 1 song promo has basically 2 meanings: get 1 song of the album (or the new single of the album) on the radio, so the album/single is being promoted and being bought by the fans (so they have that song and more in possession), and/or they test the water for a commercial single release with that same 1 song. Singles are commercially very interesting for a band, because they are

1. very expensive for the buyer (almost as expensive as an album, for comparison!), so a lot of cash profit for the band and
2. when a fan likes the single he will buy the album anyway, which generates even more cash for the band!

Furthermore, by putting b-sides on a single it makes it very interesting for the fans that bought the album straightaway, to buy the single also for the non-album songs. Most of the times this is a win-win-win situation for a band that is on top of everything: being very popular. Look at the MCIS era, for example.

That’s why this Celestials promo is at least an album promo, but maybe also a single promo. We just don’t know yet, especially the single part… Because how big is the market these days for singles? How much (new/renewed) popularity will Smashing Pumpkins get in the near future? Only time will tell what happens next!\"

So yeah, it is my fair belief/knowledge that bands do test the waters for commercial singles, by sending 1 song promos to radio djs. I think Muzzle and Daphne Descends can be considered as such type of promos. Not all singles of an album, if considered beforehand, are on a list of fixed releases. Otherwise the band/label has the risk that the whole batch of commercial singles has to be deleted and destroyed, before they end up in the ramsj boxes… But I go with you Bram, for Oceania there will be, most probably, no (physical) singles.

And I checked the Doomsday Clock thingy, but I couldn’t find any physical 1 song promo for that in our database… It was Tarantula. First promo for album & single, since both were released in the same week (early July 2007).

ok.
i agree that not every single has to be planned in advance. but i think it’s unlikely that they’ve released this promo with the goal to test the market. i think it’s way more likely that they did to promote the new album (get some airplay).

And I checked the Doomsday Clock thingy, but I couldn’t find any physical 1 song promo for that in our database… It was Tarantula. First promo for album & single, since both were released in the same week (early July 2007).[/quote:3kdzpd5b]
here it is (it’s under "zeitgeist"): http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2655
i do remember that doomsday clock was already out when i was at the shepherd’s bush empire, london show on 19 june 2007. i think it had been out for a couple of days then.

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Here is the answer for Oceania singles: nope.

http://m.musicradar.com/news/guitars/in … les-549792

\"And the funny thing is, we didn’t talk about singles at all on this record. We didn’t even release a single, we haven’t even worked a single, and songs are now being picked off the album and being played by the alternative radio stations because they’re strong. And for the past few years where we’ve tried to get traction with radio and tried to work with them and played their radio shows, and hired the independent radio people to work the record, all this crap that they ask you to do, we couldn’t get anywhere because it didn’t fit into their weird demographic shit.\"

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

i do remember that doomsday clock was already out when i was at the shepherd’s bush empire, london show on 19 june 2007. i think it had been out for a couple of days then.[/quote:29zw1hcd]
But the very first snippets on the radio, and the first full song of Zeitgeist also, was Tarantula, if I’m right? Not that it really matters, there was indeed this Doomsday Clock promo. Had forgotten about it… I must be getting old. VERY old… :cry:

i believe the first thing we heard from zeitgeist was ten seconds of tarantula, yes.

i can’t remember if tarantula was the first full song out there, but i guess that makes sense. was tarantula out there before the first show in paris?

i’ve found a thread on netphoria about tarantula, and it was started on 19 may 2007. so the song was out there. maybe not necessarily on a promo cd, but people could listen to it.

edit: threads go back to 14-15 may. so i guess that’s when the track finally popped up. at the beginning, people were talking about voting for the song to be played on a radio station. so i guess that’s where it first showed up (for the online community), and i guess that’s where the first mp3 came from (for me).
from what i can find in several old threads from around 22 may, a promo cd was out there, and several rips were being circulated. i can’t confirm that there actually was a promo cd, but people claimed that the rips were made from a cd, so.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In