SPfreaks Forum

 

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Philosophical Forum

Topic: Question?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2,828 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anonymous Anonymous 8 years, 8 months ago.

On confuciousconfusing wrote:

Why do people that worship God wish so badly for eternal life?

Because when you think about it why would you want eternal life.
Life as it is seems to take forever already, and that is only around eighty years.

another question, if you look at the statistics there really is no proof heaven exists, I think it was just an idea created by philosophers to scare the lower class people to trick people and keep them in mind.

Think about it, to people killing out of rage is wrong but killing for God is the right thing to do.

anyone else have thoughts on this.

Give me the disk, Angela.Somewhere in the world, Dongsoo Kim loves you...Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells.365 Days of Winter!!!
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

this is nothing new. a strong argument against religion has always been that it’s a scare tactic.

more people have died in the name of their god than for any other reason.

eternal life in heaven doesn’t sound too bad to me. i can see why someone would want eternal life in a place that it peaceful and has no problems. it’s heaven for christ’s sake!

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Marcella
Member
On Marcella wrote:

Religion is not to be taken so literally; eternal life isn’t really the life humans know. It’s something far more abstract; same with heaven.

Besides, every single religion is different. Some don’t believe killing in the name of God is right either.

And isn’t dying for what you believe in the best way to die? Your beliefs killed you, but at least you died for a reason.

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakatPisat O Fevrale navsnrydPoka grohochushaya slyakotVesnoyu charnoyu gorit
Profile photo of Daysofthephoenix
Member
On Daysofthephoenix wrote:

It’s not that I wouldn’t want eternal life it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.

I was just kinda depressed when I wrote that earlier. :(

Give me the disk, Angela.Somewhere in the world, Dongsoo Kim loves you...Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells.365 Days of Winter!!!
Profile photo of blueczarina
Member
On blueczarina wrote:

sorry to hear you were depressed. i hope you feel better now.

Profile photo of anonymous
Member
On Anonymous wrote:

we on this planet at times have a hard time understanding anything outside of the box ;)

Profile photo of Daysofthephoenix
Member
On Daysofthephoenix wrote:

I think I was sad because my sister and family left last night, when a huge ice storm hit and I was worried but now they are home and I happy again.

also, I know things I don’t understand scare me and that is why I try and turn that off and be happy.

Well thanks for the concern, I do feel better :)

Give me the disk, Angela.Somewhere in the world, Dongsoo Kim loves you...Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells.365 Days of Winter!!!
Profile photo of blueczarina
Member
On blueczarina wrote:

thats good :wink:

Profile photo of some pumpkins
Participant
On some pumpkins wrote:

this is nothing new. a strong argument against religion has always been that it’s a scare tactic.

more people have died in the name of their god than for any other reason.

eternal life in heaven doesn’t sound too bad to me. i can see why someone would want eternal life in a place that it peaceful and has no problems. it’s heaven for christ’s sake![/quote:2cdos9k9]

to me its less of a scare tactic, and more of a crutch. drugs, alcohol, cigaretts, religion, money, coffee. whatever gets you through the day. if a person chooses to have god as a big part of their life, go for it. but please, dont push it on me. eternal life would be cool. i want to see where society ends up going. i feel like we’re just at the begining of all this and i wanna see where things go from here.

what's wrong with you is good for what's wrong with me
Profile photo of anonymous
Member
On Anonymous wrote:

i feel like we’re just at the begining of all this and i wanna see where things go from here.[/quote:iejx6sp6]
nicely stated.

Profile photo of Marcella
Member
On Marcella wrote:

Well I’m glad you’re feeling better Days.

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakatPisat O Fevrale navsnrydPoka grohochushaya slyakotVesnoyu charnoyu gorit
Profile photo of Daysofthephoenix
Member
On Daysofthephoenix wrote:

Yeah, I am better and thank you guys for answering my question and your view points on it
:)

Give me the disk, Angela.Somewhere in the world, Dongsoo Kim loves you...Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells.365 Days of Winter!!!
Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
Member
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.[/quote:39a45fzl]

Why should it scare you? All it is is that there will always be a tomorrow, and each day is perfect.

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.[/quote:1vafobfd]

Why should it scare you? All it is is that there will always be a tomorrow, and each day is perfect.[/quote:1vafobfd]

What about an eternal orgasm? I wonder if that would get old.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAaAAAAhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!! okay, again!

in my time of dying
Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
Member
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

What about an eternal orgasm? I wonder if that would get old.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAaAAAAhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!! okay, again![/quote:23rw6rsa]

Yeah, cause you wouldn’t be able to do anything else during it. It’d feel pretty good though.

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Profile photo of Marcella
Member
On Marcella wrote:

:lol:

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakatPisat O Fevrale navsnrydPoka grohochushaya slyakotVesnoyu charnoyu gorit
Profile photo of Return To Comfort
Member
On Return To Comfort wrote:

Name one religion that says killing in the name of God is ok. A real religion, not the fanatics like KKK etc.

be my mirror, my sword, my shield
Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
Member
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

Name one religion that says killing in the name of God is ok. A real religion, not the fanatics like KKK etc.[/quote:33wemwjn]

I’m pretty sure it says it’s ok in the bible a couple of times.

So apparently I don't post very often these days
Profile photo of Return To Comfort
Member
On Return To Comfort wrote:

In the Bible? Chapter and verse, please.

be my mirror, my sword, my shield
Profile photo of Marcella
Member
On Marcella wrote:

It is mentioned in some stories from the Old Testament (Samson, for example. David & Goliath) that thanks to God Israel was able to win the war against the enemies who threatened to destroy it. I don’t know if you see that as killing in the name of God.

I can also recall when Abraham was about to kill his son Isaac in the name of God, but he was stopped by an angel, as it had only been a test to prove his faith.

Having read The Holy Bible countless times ever since I was a child, I can’t tell of any more verses that mention that specific subject. I would love for someone to correct me if I’m mistaken.

I am afraid I do not know enough about the Qur’an or about other monotheistic books to make any further statements.

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakatPisat O Fevrale navsnrydPoka grohochushaya slyakotVesnoyu charnoyu gorit
Profile photo of anonymous
Member
On Anonymous wrote:

It is mentioned in some stories from the Old Testament (Samson, for example. David & Goliath) that thanks to God Israel was able to win the war against the enemies who threatened to destroy it. I don’t know if you see that as killing in the name of God.

I can also recall when Abraham was about to kill his son Isaac in the name of God, but he was stopped by an angel, as it had only been a test to prove his faith.

Having read The Holy Bible countless times ever since I was a child, I can’t tell of any more verses that mention that specific subject. I would love for someone to correct me if I’m mistaken.

I am afraid I do not know enough about the Qur’an or about other monotheistic books to make any further statements.[/quote:3einasxt]

Well I can’t correct you because I just read that part a few weeks ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×
 
 
×
 
  • Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In

×