SPfreaks Forum

 

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Collecting Items

Topic: Signed Smashing Pumpkins stuff.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 1,710 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Sven Sven 8 years, 1 month ago.

On Sven wrote:

So, how do you guys assume that the signed SP stuff is the real deal and not a copy?

Let’s say you see a signed vinyl of some of their greatest albums (SD, MC&IS and so on) on eBay. How can you really tell that they are genuine?

I mean like, there’s a lot of money in copying these kind of collectibles, right?

Over the years I’ve always just collected signed stuff when I had the chance myself to get them by the band and/or artist, and over the years collected The Lemonheads, Dinosaur Jr, Juliana Hatfield, Electric Eel Shock and so on…..

So to the question: if you saw a signed album on eBay, could you really rely on that they are indeed genuine?

Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

And what would you guys say about this one?

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

you need to see a lot of signed stuff. this way you get used to the autographs, and it becomes really easy to spot the fakes.

it’s always possible that someone does a great job faking the autographs, but usually, the fakers just invent one, and throw their item up on ebay, together with a \"certificate of authenticity\" they printed out.

The one you posted looks real. I can’t really see the BC autograph, but the JC and JI autographs look familiar.

Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

I can agree to that.

The one thing I noticed is that it says Billy Corgan. Usually that era Billy used to write \"Billy 1993 (or whatever year) followed by a star? This is just one thing that crossed my mind.

I just haven’t seen a lot where it says Corgan also, but I guess that also happened.

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

i might be wrong here, but to me, this looks like someone had the original autographs in front of him, and tried to reproduce them.

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

i personally don’t really care about autographs. especially if you buy them. what’s the point of that? if i ever met them, and they would sign something, then yeah, ok, maybe. but buying an autograph someone else received? no, thanks.

i also dislike people who go to concerts and whatnot, just to get stuff signed, with the intention to sell them on ebay. they are worthless people.

Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

Definately. Although the B-letter in Billy looks somewhat real, other that that, yes it looks fake.

And certainly this one although it went for $133 US:

http://www.popsike.com/Smashing-Pumpkin … 33084.html

Profile photo of Cool As Ice Cream
Moderator
On Cool As Ice Cream wrote:

And certainly this one although it went for $133 US:

http://www.popsike.com/Smashing-Pumpkin … 33084.html[/quote:1f4gruvo]
yeah, this can’t be real: jimmy wasn’t in the band in november ’96.

Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

i personally don’t really care about autographs. especially if you buy them. what’s the point of that? if i ever met them, and they would sign something, then yeah, ok, maybe. but buying an autograph someone else received? no, thanks.

i also dislike people who go to concerts and whatnot, just to get stuff signed, with the intention to sell them on ebay. they are worthless people.[/quote:3odd2sal]

On that level I completely agree on what you say. :wink:

It ain’t special if I haven’t got the item signed in person. And yes, to get them signed only to sell them is crappy indeed.

The funny stuff is the story behind the actual signings. Also I just don’t understand people who just get something signed and just runs away from the person signing it.

Many of the times I’ve asked the artist to just draw something nice instead. Usually they get very surprised when asking that. I just wanna bring out the creativity. Enough said. 8)

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

yeah, this can’t be real: jimmy wasn’t in the band in november ’96.[/quote:18s9of5a]
This split me in 2, lol! Look at it, it cannot be real, if you know a lot of autographs…

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Danni
Participant
On Danni wrote:

Yeah Arthur,

It’s bizarre that it even went for $133 US! :shock:

Even I can tell by the autographs this one is not real.

Profile photo of Arthur
Moderator
On Arthur wrote:

The funny stuff is the story behind the actual signings. Also I just don’t understand people who just get something signed and just runs away from the person signing it.

Many of the times I’ve asked the artist to just draw something nice instead. Usually they get very surprised when asking that. I just wanna bring out the creativity. Enough said. 8)[/quote:26ugdp5w]
I don’t care so much about signed stuffs, but once I did what you mention here also. A few years ago I went to a concert of Fly Pan Am (spin-off of Godspeed, You Black Emperor) and after the concert we helped the band pack their equipment and carry it to their van, which they used to tour Europe.

I asked 1 of the guys (I believe it was the singer) to sign the cd album I bought at the concert, he looked at me in a strange way, he took it, sit down, and only after many minutes he gave it back to me. He almost completely redid the artwork on the paper sleeve for me, and signed it also! :lol:

On this pic you can see a small part of it, it’s the one down left. The blue pencil on top of the orange artwork is clearly visible…

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

you need to see a lot of signed stuff. this way you get used to the autographs, and it becomes really easy to spot the fakes.

it’s always possible that someone does a great job faking the autographs, but usually, the fakers just invent one, and throw their item up on ebay, together with a "certificate of authenticity" they printed out.

The one you posted looks real. I can’t really see the BC autograph, but the JC and JI autographs look familiar.[/quote:17u50kcx]

agreed totally!!!!

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

i might be wrong here, but to me, this looks like someone had the original autographs in front of him, and tried to reproduce them.

[/quote:272gc8hs]

agreed!

JC look ok-
BC too-
JI might be ok to (he did scirbble quite a bit…)

but-
above all- the BC sig is his ‘2000’ one…
being – his full name + some kind of @-sign of something added—-

now- JC signed like this in the 2000, as did JI-
just check some items on this site – i think my promotion SIYL cd is on here with JI and BC and some other promo with JC too-
now way D’Arcy was around, harhar…

so-
1- JC > could/might be real
2- JI > could/might be real
3- BC > looks genuine to me
4- D’Arcy > faked

the whole item:
> because of the fake devaluated…. as far as I am concerend-
with the three quite ok to ok sigs it would have been worth more…

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:
And certainly this one although it went for $133 US:

http://www.popsike.com/Smashing-Pumpkin … 33084.html[/quote:ienu0j45]
yeah, this can’t be real: jimmy wasn’t in the band in november ’96.[/quote:ienu0j45]

agreed-
total fake-

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

also-

i am lefthanded – BC = too-

remember: signing as a leftie is quite another thing-
some ‘movements’ you just can’t make or just DO make!!!! :)
therefore- a fake BC (duh- as there are more right-handed people than left-handed, there are bound to be more right-handed ‘fakers’…) is quite easy to spot if you know what’s possible to do for a leftie ;)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

×
 
 
×
 
  • Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In

×