SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: General

Topic: Smashing Pumpkins 20th Anniversary Celebration Contest!

This topic contains 318 replies, has 50,397 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arthur Arthur 8 years, 8 months ago.

On Arthur wrote:

Hello SPfreaks!

We would like to extend to you our latest contest. With the upcoming 20th Anniversary! shows approaching later this year, we want to celebrate the band that has brought us so much joy over the past two decades. The contest will revolve around this central theme; 20 years of our favorite band, continuing to push forward with their unique brand of music. So what do you have to do?

– Design a concert poster for a 20th Anniversary! show
– Design an accompanying flyer
– Design 3 individual pin or iron-on badges and/or backstage passes
– Design a bumper sticker
– Design a celebration shirt
– Create a setlist for the show, utilizing exactly 20 Smashing Pumpkins songs

That’s it! We realize this contest is larger than previous ones, so we have decided the submission timeframe will be a minimum of two months. All submissions will need to be sent or uploaded to SPfreaks by October 15th, 2008.

Why would you bother to do all this work? Well, we have determined the prize will be the equivalent of $500, in either Smashing Pumpkins memorabilia or cash equivalent. The prize is rather large (compared to previous efforts) as we want all submissions to be serious and their absolute best.

You may submit your designs by emailing them to the SPfreaks team at spf-contact@spfreaks.com (if you are a guest, you will have to become a member). Your email address must be the same as used to register, or your submission will be rejected. Make sure to include your username with your submission. You may also send in hard copies to SPfreaks if you wish. Address available upon request.

Rules:

– You may not submit partial entries. All requirements above will need to be submitted as one entry, or package.
– You may submit up to 3 times. Again, no partials. Each entry must contain all 6 elements listed above. Each entry must be distinct from another, with the only exception being the tracklist. (Please change the songs around at least).
– The badges/backstage passes can utilize any combination. (3 of one kind, 1 of each, etc.)
– You must create original artwork. You can use similar fonts, and similar album imagery, etc, but these cannot just be purely copy and paste; rather an interpretation of the artwork using your unique style. Also, please do not submit any other copyrighted imagery without providing appropriate documentation to support your right to do so.
– To avoid pixelating if enlarged, the larger your files, the better. SPfreaks may consider reproducing one or more of the submissions.
– Only Smashing Pumpkins songs will be allowed in the setlist. No solo or side project material.
– By entering the contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, non-exclusive license to SPfreaks.com, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries in any media now or hereafter known. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.
– As above, the deadline for all submissions is October 15th, 2008.

The contest has officially started. Let’s show the Smashing Pumpkins the love and respect we all share for giving us so much more than music.

The SPfreaks Team
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Geezz! How nice to wake up and read this! Holy moly, 500 bucks! :lol:

I’m 1 of the judges, so I can’t compete anyway. Sux. :(

Am I allowed to be creative anyway and show it here?

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of bullettwoutbutterflywings
On bullettwoutbutterflywings wrote:

i didn’t know we were alowed to post on here.

super cool contest, super cool prize, like the best ever.

"shiny, let's be bad guys"--jayne cobb-the hero of canton
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

No, I guess everybody has to either email or send it in. But I’m sometimes in a creative mood too you know. Maybe I’m allowed to show off here. :wink:

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

holy crap thats quite a contest. better get started. this will be fun. :wink:

Profile photo of Pipoka
On Pipoka wrote:

this contest is great !
let’s see if i have some time to think about something… i don’t have a good image software, i have to find something

but this is great! :D

Profile photo of Superlordspamulon
On Superlordspamulon wrote:

Awesome!

I will get to work straight away :D

*edit* Are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

So apparently I don't post very often these days

For anybody without decent image software, try . It’s free!

Profile photo of SPfreaks
On SPfreaks wrote:

You may submit up to 3 times. Remember, each entry has to contain all the elements, so if you’re up for it, we’ll take em!

There has been some confusion over the word badges. You can design little metal pin badges, or iron on cloth badges, and also backstage passes. Any combination will work. 3 of one kind, 1 of each, it’s up to you.

Also, the judging criteria will be kept private, but will be revealed at the time of judgement. We can tell you the judges will be 4 members of SPfreaks.com, and could potentially include more later as the contest progresses.

Any more questions, keep them coming!

The SPfreaks Team
On SPfreaks wrote:

Please understand that no \"official\" entries shall be posted in this forum. Any such entries shall be removed from said competition and discarded.

However, SPfreaks members can participate in this thread by uploading any contributions they may have, as they are not allowed to officially participate in the competition.

Thanks and have fun!

The SPfreaks Team
Profile photo of Shannen
On Shannen wrote:

Questions:

1) Is there a specific size of artwork that we must meet for each element?

2) What’s the image format that we are allow to send?

I am-Shannen-I exist!
On SPfreaks wrote:

We will leave the sizing up to those participating, remembering as stated above:

If the image is too small, it probably will not be considered for replication in the future. Also, each member is responsible for submitting through email. If you have an original file that is too large, just condense it for the judging and hold on to your originals. We can always ask you for these later.

.jpg, .bmp, .pdf, .doc are all welcome. Any other extensions may prove impossible to open without standard software. Please submit accordingly.

The SPfreaks Team

hey, just wanted to see if the badges where a backstage pass or a button type thingy.

Profile photo of manillascissor
Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

hey, just wanted to see if the badges where a backstage pass or a button type thingy.[/quote:2mnis51d]

hey bullet
SPfreaks answered that a few posts up!! :)

in my time of dying
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

I won’t be entering as I’m Old School and would like to see a youngster take the prize. :)

Great competition, good luck, all.

\\m/

hey, just wanted to see if the badges where a backstage pass or a button type thingy.[/quote:msvp8iyj]

hey bullet
SPfreaks answered that a few posts up!! :)[/quote:msvp8iyj]

oh, i didn’t see it, wasn’t all the way awake and not paying to good of attention.

Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

Yeah good luck all.I really wanna try to join this competition,but alas ,im so damn busy with my reallife work

In loving memory of Bimbolin.

i gots another question, what should the date be on the items, just make one up?

.jpg, .bmp, .pdf, .doc are all welcome. Any other extensions may prove impossible to open without standard software. Please submit accordingly.[/quote:2tot2wn1]

I assume .png will be allowed. If it can be opened in MSPaint, it’s pretty much standard. Plus, it’s a lossless format.

Also, anybody using .bmp should be shot. The quality is just as good in .png and .bmp are unnecessarily huge filesizes.

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:
.jpg, .bmp, .pdf, .doc are all welcome. Any other extensions may prove impossible to open without standard software. Please submit accordingly.[/quote:1wt98bml]

I assume .png will be allowed. If it can be opened in MSPaint, it’s pretty much standard. Plus, it’s a lossless format.

Also, anybody using .bmp should be shot. The quality is just as good in .png and .bmp are unnecessarily huge filesizes.[/quote:1wt98bml]

yes i agree. .bmp are ridiculous.

in my time of dying
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

A small tip for you guys and guysesses that might be handy sometime:

Save any .bmp, .jpg, or .gif (whatever file extension) as a .jpg picture.

Next, right-click on the pic and ‘Open With’ into the Paint program.

Without doing anything else, just ‘Save’ again and you’ll see a noticeable difference in the pic’s file size now.

Sometimes much, much smaller… Very useful for new Avatars on forums, etc. :)

Profile photo of Pipoka
On Pipoka wrote:

A small tip for you guys and guysesses that might be handy sometime:

Save any .bmp, .jpg, or .gif (whatever file extension) as a .jpg picture.

Next, right-click on the pic and ‘Open With’ into the Paint program.

Without doing anything else, just ‘Save’ again and you’ll see a noticeable difference in the pic’s file size now.

Sometimes much, much smaller… Very useful for new Avatars on forums, etc. :)[/quote:31jqle4y]

i do that too ;)

Profile photo of Marcella
On Marcella wrote:

Question:

By creating original artwork and not using copyrighted imagery, it means we can’t use band images or logos?

Fevrale dostat chernil i plakatPisat O Fevrale navsnrydPoka grohochushaya slyakotVesnoyu charnoyu gorit
Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

Question:

By creating original artwork and not using copyrighted imagery, it means we can’t use band images or logos?[/quote:2mzcl7n9]

that was what i was wondering too. ^

Keymaster
On manillascissor wrote:

arthur and i will contact the PMM and get back to you on this. if they give us permission to use those logos, then it should be fine.

in my time of dying

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In