SPfreaks Forum

forum

SPfreaks Forums

Welcome to a place to share thoughts and questions with other SPfreaks. Browse a forum below or start a new thread in a forum

Forum: Trading Items

Topic: SPfreaks’ Renditions Live Compilation

This topic contains 55 replies, has 8,073 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Arthur Arthur 7 years, 10 months ago.

On Arthur wrote:

OK, OK, fairly late this year, I know… my excuses! :oops:

But it was the hardest task so far, believe me! But within 1 or 2 weeks I will release a new set of very listenable MP3s here in this topic, for our third Live Compilation, to honor the band we all love: Smashing Pumpkins. Prepare for acoustic versions of songs that you would never ever believe that they were done acoustically (X.Y.U. for example? anybody? :lol: ), or songs with extra motherfucking! rants, metal versions of lovely ballad songs, blues and ska versions of old rarities, extended live versions of radio hits, well, whatever, just wait what I will throw in. It might or might not contain everything I mentioned here before. I still have to choose from a longlist of almost 300 MP3 songs, in total 2,41 GB of Pumpkins beauties, rendered by the Pumpkins themselves. Keep your eyes peeled to this topic here, guys! :P

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

Woohooo, been waiting for the third Live Compilation, looking forward. 8) :D

In loving memory of Bimbolin.
Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

Sounds great, A, looking forward to another super-treat! :) :wink:

Profile photo of Daysofthephoenix
On Daysofthephoenix wrote:

Awesome, I will be looking forward to that third compilation.

The first two were amazing and I bet this one will be as well. :D

Give me the disk, Angela.Somewhere in the world, Dongsoo Kim loves you...Thirsting for God in a Land of Shallow Wells.365 Days of Winter!!!
Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

just to make a statement in proving BC’s remarks towards the writing of ‘Today’ , as being written, because the record company wanted a hit-single…!, WRONG… > you might want to consider the inclusion of the very first known recording of ‘Today’… way back from 92 that is; way before there was ever any mention of the label meddling in hit-single or not-affairs… :)

the infamous ‘I Am One’ (loud/fast/metal-version) can’t be overlooked, right??? :)

same goes for the UTTERLY BRILLIANT early 1996 version of ‘Rocket’!!!…. awww, that’s so stunning…

speaking of stunning: how about: ‘By Starlight’ from 1997 GM Place, Vancouver???!!! :)

Profile photo of some pumpkins
Participant
On some pumpkins wrote:

^ great suggestions. i have never heard that performance of \"today\". im very much looking forward to this one.

might i suggest this performance of mayonaise [url:19sw18y7]http://www.thepumpkins.net/content/view/831/47/[/url:19sw18y7] or starla from this show [url:19sw18y7]http://www.archive.org/details/tsp1993-07-04.sbd.ana.promo[/url:19sw18y7]

what's wrong with you is good for what's wrong with me
Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

@Sven: I’ll try to find that Today version you mentioned (or can you send it to me, maybe?), but for the moment I have an acoustic version (with cello!!!) from 1993 on top of the list. Not to be missed also I think. I Am One metal version was already included in a previous SPfreaks release, so… And I have found a cool Pissant rant version, also an I Of The Mourning with rant, so I think that will be nice to include also. Furthermore, I have 2 By Starlight versions at the moment, 1 early version from February 1995, and a slower version from UK 1997. I’ll compare it with the GM Place version, OK?

@some pumpkins: I have several versions of Mayonaise on my list (what date is yours? I downloaded it from there, but it doesn’t provide that info…), and also a cello version of Starla from 1993. That acoustic version of Starla from London 1993 is cool also, indeed… I have put it on my longlist as we speak! :D

General note, I have set the deadline for Saturday, November 28 for the upload including new artwork! 8)

Billy Corgan, December 2, 2008 : "Not everyone understands our death trip. But you do. And that's what matters."
Profile photo of some pumpkins
Participant
On some pumpkins wrote:

i wish i knew. i would love to hear the whole show.

what's wrong with you is good for what's wrong with me
Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

@Sven: I’ll try to find that Today version you mentioned (or can you send it to me, maybe?), but for the moment I have an acoustic version (with cello!!!) from 1993 on top of the list. Not to be missed also I think. I Am One metal version was already included in a previous SPfreaks release, so… And I have found a cool Pissant rant version, also an I Of The Mourning with rant, so I think that will be nice to include also. Furthermore, I have 2 By Starlight versions at the moment, 1 early version from February 1995, and a slower version from UK 1997. I’ll compare it with the GM Place version, OK?
8)[/quote:1fi46ivh]

> Today: it’s the take from: Kleine Markthalle, Hamburg; sorry… i just do not have the time now to send it. it is from this show:http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=921 i’ve got the video for this show and an audio transfer: SOMEWHERE… Arthur: you know my archive and all… takes some time to find this one though… if I remember correctly my transfer was a one-track even, but!: i think i know too my friend Jeroen made an edited version for me… will look for this one tomorrow!!!

> Today: cello-version is cool and OK; though: there are way cooler songs with cello :) for example: the 1993 Rhinoceros? :)

> I Am One: OK.

> By Starlight: even as this version from the GM Place doesn’t feature JC, if i’d have to pick one of the best live performances ever by TSP in terms of goosebumps and shivers and tears: it’s this take of By Starlight, for sure :)

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

> Today: it’s the take from: Kleine Markthalle, Hamburg[/quote:r69gw4v7]
Got it, but maybe your file is better quality? Let’s see…

Profile photo of blueczarina
On blueczarina wrote:

i love that By Starlight too Sven. i love the GM Place audio in general.

i can’t wait for this comp. i’m sure whatever audio you use it will be a good collection. :wink:

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:
> Today: it’s the take from: Kleine Markthalle, Hamburg[/quote:1mglx4tb]
Got it, but maybe your file is better quality? Let’s see…[/quote:1mglx4tb]

doubt it. the audio is video-sourced and not the best to start with. you might wanna check with Jeroen. he did the tracksplit for me. he might be able to find this quicker than me. i just checked the most obvious of places and failed to track it down. found the video though… :) now watching… quite an amazing sight :)

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

btw:
how we came unto this recording is quite an adventure in and of itself… :)
somewhere back in 96 or 97 i stumbled upon a site from a British guy. he listed a lot of live recordings by quite an array of different acts. loads of dates were off therein.
however: he did list the 93 Vredenburg, Utrecht, NL show, one in London (Town and Country Club I think it was) and the Kleine Markthalle show.
he didn’t trade. he did sell though. this was ‘not-done’ per se in trading cycles, but somehow i thought: what the heck? and went along and bought the discs and the video tape. these turned to be correctly labelled. these were until then not circulated or found recordings. especially the show from Kleine Markthalle proved to be a gem due to the first known performance of Today. the performance from Utrecht is pretty cool too.
it was somewhat a shot in the dark to buy these recordings, running the risk of these being mislabelled and all, but it turned out great. some copies were made quite a bit later and then the recordings spread further. i haven’t seen the video up anywhere though.
i can’t remember correctly, but i think the guy told me he used to work for bands or had a friend or friends or collegues who did and that was how he got a hold of these recordings.
it was just pure chance i stumbled unto his site and found these… :)

and:
here is a cool review, in German:http://www.rigmarole.de/smashingpumpkins/reviews/review1992-08-31.html

EDIT!!! > i just found the cd!!!:)

damn: this Today is just so AWESOME!!! the recording might be below par, the performance of this song, even back then; it’s just amazing… if you haven’t heard this before, you’re in for a treat: hearing the first known performance of Today, THE HIT SINGLE, just blows my mind, even now, again…. :)
plus: like i said… all of BCs stories of how he came home from the Gish tours and lived in a crappy place and the label demanding a hit and him writing this at his lowest of lows… hmmm… doesn’t quite add up, does it, dude??? :)

Profile photo of Siva_Gossamer
On Siva_Gossamer wrote:

how about including the acoustic version of united states they band did in 07 for xm radio artist confidential?
or the cash car star medley from the european tour in 2008?
and anything from the 02 arena show from feb 16th 2008 coz i was there ;)

i know this is gonna come out great whatever ends up on it tho =)

Profile photo of mr.benway
Participant
On mr.benway wrote:

@Arthur: A new compilation. :D Phantastic. You’re the man

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

how about including the acoustic version of united states they band did in 07 for xm radio artist confidential?[/quote:3kqio3hn]
Funny that you mention this almost forgotten gig. I had already put the acoustic version of Bleeding The Orchid of this little set of acoustic beauties on my shortlist! Good choice of you, indeed, Siva_Gossamer! :D

Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

Funny that you mention this almost forgotten gig.

I had already put the acoustic version of Bleeding The Orchid of this little set of acoustic beauties on my shortlist![/quote:2lv6ezpf]

8)

Cant wait anymore hehe. :P

Profile photo of anonymous
On Anonymous wrote:

Netphorian on:

Jeez, like what is taking so damn long!!! You announced this hours ago, where is it all? I don’t want to hear any goddamn excuses, just give me what I want yesterday. Damn, I hate Billy Corgan so much, every time I spend $100s and $100s on merchandise he brings out something else I have to buy. :roll: :roll: :roll: I swear that guy’s gone nuts, he shaved his head and didn’t realise other people had bald heads too. Dumbass. :o

Netphorian off:

Sounds like you’re cooking up something delicious once again, Rawker. Looking forward to it. :) 8)

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

@Arthur: A new compilation. :D Phantastic. You’re the man [/quote:1247lq3n]

thanks a lot for this link!!!
this brings back SO many memories…
especially to the times spent with Jan (Junebug) and Manuel on the 2000 tours…
it’s so awesome to relive those times again now, by reading his review anew :)

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

Dazey, this is on the shortlist too. :wink:

http://everything2.com/title/Silverfuck

Profile photo of Sven
Participant
On Sven wrote:

Dazey, this is on the shortlist too. :wink:

http://everything2.com/title/Silverfuck[/quote:1wvll45u]

some days later in Pensacola they did the longest one ever :)
http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1997-02-04

still: i prefer ‘long’ Silverfuck jams from a little bit earlier into the tour, again: like @ GM Place… :)
not only because of the sound quality, but also because even in Silverfuck, then and there, around those times, less is more… yep… :)

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

some days later in Pensacola they did the longest one ever :)
http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1997-02-04[/quote:uc9giopn]
For 3 reasons I picked the other one.

-Lots of people heard about the 40 minutes Silverfuck jam, but not all had the chance to listen to it.
-On this date the recording quality is way better.
-Suprise, surprise… this one lasts just as long (if not longer?) as the Pensacola version. You guys are going to love it! 8)

Profile photo of Arthur
On Arthur wrote:

do…

you…

already…

feel…

it…

THE TENSION !!!! ADMIT IT, YOU HATE THE WAITING !!!! :lol:

Sneak preview of the CD case artwork I’m working on. Me likes it… :wink:

Profile photo of amnesia
On amnesia wrote:

Awesome artwork. 8)

Now where are the tunes? :P :wink:

Profile photo of mr.benway
Participant
On mr.benway wrote:

Looks like the 9-Fridge-Magnet-Artwork. :lol:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Strength indicator
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Already a member? Sign In