Article by: SPfreaks
Announcement by The SPfreaks Team
The World Of Mellon Collie
With the upcoming reissue of Smashing Pumpkins‘ Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness scheduled for early December, 2012, we at SPfreaks thought it a good idea to have another fan contest!
SPfreaks has a history in organizing and/or supporting Smashing Pumpkins fan contests, with the 2008 Poster Contest (fully supported by the band) being the most remarkable to date. After this long running contest, the winner received tickets and backstage passes to a 20th Anniversary show of Smashing Pumpkins, and had her winning poster signed during a meet and greet with the band! The winner also won a rare piece of Smashing Pumpkins vinyl, which was later framed (pictured here).
The new contest however, will be on a somewhat different level. Art-related as always, but now the writers and designers amongst you will have a chance to compete and win a pretty cool prize. The winner of this contest will receive a Deluxe Box Set of the Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness reissue, nicely packed with a SPfreaks promo shirt in your size!
Taken from the Mellon Collie reissue press release issued a few days ago:
“The Deluxe Box Set’s 5 CDs include 64 bonus tracks of previously unreleased material or alternate versions of Mellon Collie era songs, and its DVD features a live show filmed at the Brixton Academy, London (1996) and bonus performances from the German music television show Rockpalast (1996). It all comes housed in a 12 x 12 lift-top box with magnetic closure, reimagined cover art and velvet-lined disc holder. The package includes 2 books containing personal notes, lyrics, new collage artwork, plus a Decoupage kit for creating your own scenes from the Mellon Collie universe.”
What do you need to do to win this extraordinary Smashing Pumpkins release? There are two components. The first is a written piece between 1,000 and 2,500 words in length, entitled The World Of Mellon Collie. Feel free to interpret the title and the theme as widely as you see fit to your writing skills. The second component is the creation of a decoupage set. For those unfamiliar with this terminology, please have a look here for an explanation. The decoupage set must be related to a specific song that appeared on the original Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness release from 1995 (to include the vinyl with two additional bonus tracks).
Some guidelines and rules to this contest.
- The decoupage set can be designed either digitally, or with physical materials. In the latter case we need a very clear photo(s) of the artwork created.
- The decoupage set must not relate to more than one song.
- As stated, the article that accompanies the decoupage set has to be at least 1,000 words, but should not be longer as 2,500 words. No exceptions!
- Send your contributions to the following email address only: TheSPfreaksTeam@gmail.com.
- We are in contact with the band to ascertain if any band member(s) is/are willing to assist with judging. We will make an immediate announcement if this occurs.
- Deadline for this contest is December 15, 2012. We hope to announce the winner of the contest between Xmas and New Years Eve, so the winner will have the prize as a New Years present.
- Members of the SPfreaks Team are not eligible to enter.
- Good luck to you all!